2005 Chevy Suburban Z71(stock) - largest useable size?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by whymeintrouble, Mar 23, 2009.

1. hi all,

new to the forums. looking to find out what the largest size tire my Z71 burb can handle.. I feel the 265/70/17 on now are just too small. I want to keep the road noise within reasonable limits but want to be able to go where I want when I need to. This truck is mostly a daily driver for my fiancee, running 60 miles/day. I have 3 tires I'll be comparing the BFG ATs, GY Wrangler DuraTrac, and the GY Wrangler SilentArmor.

thanks for any help

2. lvz2ryd

lvz2ryd Rockstar

BF Goodrich All Terrain TA KO's ..........nuff said ...maybe 285\75 with some trimmin i think ?? that u have torsion bar front suspension, you could always crank them up a bit but you will sacrafice ride quality alot. If you really wanna clear bigger tires and not sac. ride quality put a body lift on it.

3. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

4. lvz2ryd

lvz2ryd Rockstar

You could also get a 2" suspension lift form Rough Country shown here with those tires as well

http://www.roughcountry.com/chevy_4wd_99-06_tahoe-2.html[/quote]

The lift in this link is for new torsion bars keys, that just re-index the torsion on the torsion bars themselves. there are many forums discussing the pros and cons of this type of lift. It "can" put the CV axles at xtreme angles that they dont like, the RANCHO lift that i spoke of actually lowers the crossmember and differential so you dont have that angle problem and can retain a "factory like" ride, and alignment specs.
    :whistle: IMO (and this explains why) I wouldn't put this on my truck and believe me..... I've thought about it and did the research.

Check this link, and there are many others.

http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/ew/topic.asp?id=200957&s=leveling_my_chevy

5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

the 285/70/17 would be the biggest witout sacrifice, also i would look into getting a programmer then the truck can adjust to the bigger tire size

6. NoelZ71

NoelZ71 Member

I would go with the GDY S.A.'s if you want a better ride bfg's are awsome, but the ride is better on the GDY. Sidewall's are set up the same 3ply tri-gard on the bfg's and DuraWall on the gdy's so off road use will be similar but i think the bfg is a better off road tire...gdy's better ride more mileage. if that is your price range you might look at the Michelin AT2 is an AWSOME tire. ride mileage everything it is a little less agressive than the bfg but off road is still decent. Good Luck choosing one either way I dont think you'll be disapointed

7. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

the duratrac is going to have more road noise but excelent off road traction over all i would go with the Silent armor 50k warranty great traction on and off road road noise to a min excellent snow and ice traction, i will be putting the duratrac on my truck as soon as i burn up my rt/s

8. decided on the GY SAs

Hi all

thanks fcr all the help. I ended up getting the GY SA tires. I ended up getting them for under 1200 OTD including road hazard. I found they are a touch too big, when making a sharp turn they rub a little. going to find out where exactly tomorrow and take care of that small problem :)

thanks again!

9. GWAGON_99

GWAGON_99 Rockstar 100 Posts

What size did you end up going with? I just bought 285/75R18's that i am going to be putting on my truck (2003 Z71 w/ 2" lift) and am curious.

10. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

the silent armor is a good tire, but 1200!!! :gasp: what size did you get?