1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2005 Chevy Trailblazer Engine Whine

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by jkjroni, Apr 23, 2007.

1. jkjroni

jkjroni New Member

Hi all, newbie here. I just bought a used 2005 TB with 42000 miles on it. It has recently started to make a horrible whining noise when you accelerate mostly, although it is there while idling. Anyone had this problem or have any ideas as to what could be wrong. It's really frustrating considering I just bought it!:confused: Any help is greatly appreciated.
    1 person likes this.
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Just a couple of quick thoughts.

1) Serpentine belt - does it go away after it's been running for a while? Does it make the same sound no matter how fast you go, or does it go away when driving at full speed? Is it worse when cold?

My belt made horrible whine/chirping noise starting around 40,000 miles, I hit it with some belt dressing every 6 weeks and replaced it around 55,000 miles.

Try getting some belt dressing from your local autoparts store and spraying it according to the directions on the can. See if the noise goes away instantly when applying it.

2) Fan Clutch - The fan clutch goes out on some of these, and it will cause a whine noise as well.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  3. jkjroni

jkjroni New Member

My husband bought a new serpentine belt, but we haven't changed it yet. We also got a new idler pulley to see if that will help. Never thought of the fan clutch. To answer a couple of your questions...No the sound never goes away, but does get louder as I accelerate. The temp of the engine does not seem to have any affect...Thanks Steve for your advice and knowledge.
  4. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My 2003 makes a mild noise like this never bothered to chase it yet. Sounds like a turbo whine. Mine is not loud enough to start tearing stuff apart, but you do have my interest now...please post if you find something.
  5. BUC NASTY

BUC NASTY New Member

could be the alternator...
  6. Nevada Born

Nevada Born New Member

Whine

Mine has what sounds like a Turbo Whine as well. I kind of like the sound so I hadn't worried about it but now that you mention it. I will be looking to see how you fix it. I will try the belt dressing
  7. John W

John W Rockstar 100 Posts

My silverado has a noise like that. Checked it out and it's the power steering pump. The fluid smells burnt if you stick your finger in the reservoir and smell it.
  8. djmoore914

djmoore914 New Member

I had this same issue. I went to get my oil changed and the guy told me it was the alternator. I did some research, found some data on it. I learned that it was more than likely the idler pulley. I called chevy they didn't even let me finish before telling me what it was. I asked them how much, they told me $290! I laughed at him and called my mechanic. He did it for $45 in about 15 minutes. My car has never sounded so good. Waaaay better than a new alternator!
  9. Widespread Panic

Widespread Panic New Member

I have a 2005 Chevy Trail Blazer and I was getting a whining sound that sounded like a jet engine and it got worse over a couple month period. It was the IDLER PULLEY for sure, I talked to many places and they knew what it was for sure, it cost me $144 parts and labor, I knew I could buy the part for $20 but I did not have know how and time to fix my self, easy fix if you run into same problem. The DEALER as well as OTHER MECHANICS wanted anywhere from 200 to 450 for the fix so $144 not bad. Sound was gone when I picked up car and so much better, sounds like it did before problem.
  10. pjviruet

pjviruet New Member

I had the same problem it was the idle pulley, hope this helps.