1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2005 Silverado 1500 Headlight and Fog light over ride

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Marcus, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Marcus

Marcus Rockstar

I recently just bought this Truck (2005 Silverado 1500 z71) and noticed that when I turn on my high beams the low beams and fog lights turn off. I know this is how they come from the factory but I know they can be overrode. So basically what I'm wanting to do is override it so that when I turn on my high beams the low beams and fog lights stay on. Does anyone know how to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
  2. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

3. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I noticed this as well when I got my truck. I don't believe the fog lights turn off, but the low beams defintiely do. What I do (to avoid spending $60 on a relay) is just hold back on the lever instead of pushing it forward. This keeps both your low and high beams on, but you have to keep holding it, so if you're driving for long distances with your high beams on, it would sure get old. If you use your high beams enough, it may be worth getting a relay. Here's one that Stylin Trucks offers as well: High-4 Headlight Conversion Kit
  4. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site! I have read in other forums that a simple jumper wire can be used to keep the fogs on with the brights but I think if you are going for the high and low beams on together, a relay might need to be purchased as mentioned before.
  5. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Your fog lights should go off unless something has been alterd.

The high4 would be my pick btw. :great:
  6. Marcus

Marcus Rockstar

Thanks for the welcome guys! Glad to be finally joining the GM club ;)

I found a write up about using a diode under the dash.
    http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=245919&page=1&pp=10

The only thing I'm having trouble is removing the panel under the steering wheel to access the plugs. The chevy thing is pretty new to me since I owned a Jeep before. I have removed all the bottom screws but there seems to be some holding up the top part. Any help?
  7. Marcus

Marcus Rockstar

Well I got it finished and they look great. Can't wait to see them with my HID's on. Pretty simple to do and only cost $1. If someone would like a better write let me know and I will get one coming.
  8. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I know I would! If you have the time and desire, post a write-up with some pictures in the write-up section.