1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2005 Silverado Dash Light Upgrade??

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Silvercat, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Silvercat

Silvercat New Member

I found the led upgrades for the 2002-2003 models but no info for the 2005 version. I opened up my guage cluster far enough to know the lights I had in hand were not going to work so I reassembled and gave up.
    Can someone give me a walk through on the correct procedure to swap in either the stock bulbs (IN BLUE) or preferably LED lights for better intensity. I did buy some blue LEDs but they were far to big for any dash application so I put them in my door (puddle lights) which looks cool.
    I just want to ditch the plain boring white lights for an upscale blue like my other car has, its a real touch of class.
    Thanks for any ideas and opinions, I'll keep scouring the net to see if anyone else has come up with a simple failsafe plan for this procedure.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE.
    Best of the Season to All!!:party:

2. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Im not quite sure, but it should be like changing the lights out on the climate control on the 99-02 trucks. Just desolder the ones that are there, and solder in some standard 5mm led lights with the proper resistors. If you want more even light with it, you can figure out a way to wire a couple more to dark spots from the same soldering points as all the standard ones. hope this helps, it really is a cool mod.

3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well ironically I am going to do this mod you speak of next summer, all I can say is a very steady hand with a soldering iron will do the trick. They are an odd size bulb that I have looked all over for and can't find, so I am going to use 5mm LED bulbs with a 330 resistor and they also have a 180 degree viewing angle. Here's a picture of what they look like up close, the hardest part is finding out what it hot and what is ground because it is not marked. Other than that you'll have to wait till next summer for my version of the story, I'm doing mine in green LED's to match the color of the truck.

[​IMG]

4. pmf608

finding the + and - side is always fun. I usually try to figure one out and then trace the circuit from there to find the rest out. Its not always easy, but it can save a lot of time when you can trace it. I'm interested to see what the green would look like. If my stereo didnt have blue and white lighting, I would have gone for red LED's throughout my interior.

5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

That's a good idea for tracing the + and -, I will have to write that down so that I remember. I decided on green because everyone does blue or white, and I really want it to match the color of the truck. When I made my angel eyes, I experimented with green 5mm LED's and they had a very UFO look to them! I was very happy with them, so I will try and carry that look to the dash cluster. I like the idea of doing the rest of the interior lights, but that is a ton of soldering and a little bit of that goes a long way!

6. pmf608

very true. it is a lot of work to all of them. a lot of fords (up until recently) used green lighting, and i dont really like it on them, but I think that is mainly the design of the interior parts. I think with the design of the GM's, green would be cool. I really like red, it feels inviting so long as its not overdone, but I can promise you I wont be redoing mine in a different color. I have a couple of my blue ones that went bad on my climate control, and I am dreading having to redo them.

7. b_burdine

b_burdine Rockstar 100 Posts

Could you give me the website where you found out how to replace the lights for the 2003 silverado? Thanks!

8. pmf608

the 2003 actually fits under this same thread, as it is exactly the same as the 2005. I had done a write-up here on the truck club for the 99-02 gauges when I swapped my gauge lights to LED's.

9. jmutto

jmutto Rockstar

Does anyone know how to open up the climate (dual) controls on these 2002-2005 trucks without toasting them? When trying to open mine up, I destroyed the slidepots for the temperature selectors when removing the caps on them. Now I get to order a new control unit.:grrrrrr:

Oh well, at least my burned out light problem will be fixed.:lol: