1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2005 silverado horn problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by nomak, Jun 23, 2012.

1. nomak

nomak New Member

I recently became the proud owner of a 2005 silverado just the basic model no power windows or door locks but it suits me fine. anyways I went to blow the horn at some fine driver in my town that forgets there turn signal and cant decide if they do want to turn or not thus about causing a wreck..well the horn didnt work so I didnt get to express myself the way I wanted to..lol.. but I have checked the fuse and swapped the relay swith out under the hood with the one thats for the washer fluid motor and it still didnt work so now Im at a loss and need help.. what else would not be working that is on the horn circut do the horns die on these things never had a vehicle that the horn died.. any help appreciated..

2. nomak

nomak New Member

ok did some more testing the horn does work but only if I pull the relay out of its socket and use a jumper wire to make the connection for it. someone mentioned a switch under the steering wheel that goes bad on these things does it have a specific name and are they hard to change out being it has an air bag.. thanks,.,

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

So, are you saying the relay is not operating? You can hold it while someone blows the horn, if it operates, you can feel the click.

Or, are you saying the relay operates, but the contacts are not making connection, thus the relay is bad?

4. nomak

nomak New Member

The relay is fine for I swapped it out with the windshield spray relay and it worked fine there and the working relay from wiper spray would not let horn work .. you can here it click when horn is depressed but no horn..thanks..

5. RayVoy

Hmmm, assuming the relays are the same (and can be swapped) you have a problem that does not make any sense.

If you remove the relay and use a wire in the socket the horn works. That tells me the secondary circuit (power to the horn) is ok.

If you leave the relay in and someone pushes the horn button, the relay clicks. That tells me the primary circuit (power to the relay) is ok.

The only conclusion I can reach, is that the relay is bad.

6. nomak

nomak New Member

I will go out and check the relay again by swapping it with a good one but my friend said he heard it click when I pushed the horn and hes the one that jumpered the terminals when the relay was out to make the horn work.. he said something about the switch under the air bag was bad most likely.. hes a diesel mechanic so he is a certified mechanic cause I just dont go out messing with vehicles unless I know what im doing or someone else does if not it goes to the dealer ship..lol..my friend also siad that if the BCM was bad that I would have more problems than the horn not working like the instrument panel and other stuff.. on a side can those relays be put in backwards and not work ?? I just put it back in the way it came out by the marks I made on them. thanks again..

7. nomak

nomak New Member

ok not sure what I did but I had my son honk the horn to see if I could hear the relay click before I started swapping relays again.. well instead of a relay click the horn works fine now..only thing I did was scrape the terminals of the relay yesterday for the looked as if they had a slight discoloration to them or a build up of some kind but I never tried the horn again after installing the relay back in untill just now..so I guess problem fixed possible dirty terminals or it may be a bad relay not sure yet will have to wait and see...thanks for help though,.,

8. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Also sounds like a bad relay to me (or as you said, dirty terminals). Even it being the latter, I would just replace it.

9. RayVoy

Ok, to answer your earlier question, the relays can not be installed back-wards, like a 3157 bulb (brake or sig) they can be installed either way.

Shaking the relay as it was being moved, the wiping of the pins as it was going in/out of the socket may have cleaned things enough for a few days. If it fails again, just replace it.

10. nomak

nomak New Member

well the horn has quit working once again so Im guessing its the relay just wanted to be sure before I spend 21 dollars on a new one..