2005 V6 Distributor Cap Problem

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by fast401, Jan 11, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. fast401

fast401 New Member

Hope someone can help me out. My son has a 2005 silverado with the V6. It is now on it's 4 distributor cap. Corrosion is the problem and I have checked with the dealership to see if there were any tech bulletins but they show none. We have tried factory and aftermarket caps and they only last about 6 months. I have contacted GM but they want the truck taken to the dealership for inspection. What are they going to check if it is running fine now? This problem starts to show up after setting for a couple of days and then it takes several tries to get it started and it will run fine for 1 day to several days. Hope someone knows what to do with this problem. Thanks, Rick
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You have a plugged vent. I don't remember where the vents are on that distributor, there is usually a small hole (round, sometimes rectangular) in the cap, but you've changed the cap. You need two holes for the air to move through the cap, the other one is usually on the bottom of the "bell", the wider part that the cap sits on. There should be a screen to keep out dirt, it is probably plugged.
  3. fast401

fast401 New Member

Thanks Ray. I hope this is the problem. He also has a problem when he starts it, it will not idle and after 3-4 times it will finally run and it will be ok for a day or more. We did clean the throttle body and that seemed to help for a while. We put a code reader on it and it shows nothing.
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I assume this happens when the engine is cold. How does it start when hot? If it starts fine when hot, I'd suspect a problem with the temperature sensor (but I don't know where it is on your truck), usually around the radiator support bracket.
  5. fast401

fast401 New Member

Thank you again for your help. It starts fine when it is hot. I will try to track down the location of the sensor. Thanks again, Rick