Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2005 Yukon XL A/C blowing warm

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by joscibo, Jun 14, 2013.

1. joscibo

joscibo New Member

Looking to try and recharge it is there a specific one to use? It was working fine last fall and now it is blowing semi cold. It has rear air and heat if that makes any difference.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Any R-134a freon will work. It would be better if you could find your leak. I have seen many yukon xl/ suburban leak at the rear o-rings. if you crawl under your truck where and look just above the exhaust pipe you will see the connections.

3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

As stated you will want to find the leak. So use one with a dye. Hey will all have pressure gauges. One thing first, see if the compressor clutch is turning on. If too low or too high the clutch either will not turn on or cycle on off. I've had compressors go but the last one was very noisy when it went out as well as didn't blow cold.

4. joscibo

joscibo New Member

It's blowing semi cold after winter. Now that it is warmer it just isn't very cold. It's not ice cold is all. To just recharge with a can wouldn't get it done? The vehicle has 165,000 miles great shape just trying to fix it if I can with a can of recharge?

5. dsfloyd

A can may do it if its low but if its low there is usually a leak. Otherwise it will overcharge it. Doesn't hurt to grab a can.

6. joscibo

joscibo New Member

I will give a can a try. I have heard that the Walmart cans have a sealer in it? I don't want a leak sealer to mess up the system if there is a bad leak somewhere. Is there any truth to this or other cans of this stuff?

7. dsfloyd

There are a variety of cans at each place you go (Walmart, napa, autozone etc) so if you go to Walmart there will probably be two or three types. I believe most have sealers in them as you typically have some sort of leak if you need a can. Most leak sealers are to recondition old seals, and won't fix a big leak or damage anything (its not like the tire slime type of leak sealer). Realistically they are all the same just made by 2 or 3 companies. Just get one with a gauge on it or pick up the gauge for the can.