1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2005 Yukon XL "Growling" noise when turning left.

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Pikey, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hi All,
    I just picked up a 2005 Yukon XL after my 03 xl was totaled. I am getting a growling noise in the steering column when turning left at low speeds. It is not there when I am doing over 5 mph. But, when I back out of a parking spot or turn into one then it growls. I have to turn the wheel pretty far for it to happen. (halfway between centered and lock to the left) I do not notice that it is harder to turn when it happens. The intermediate shaft was just replaced the day before I bought it. Also, with just the truck running and not moving forward, you can still hear the noise when turning the wheel left (never when turning it right). The noise seems to come from upper steering column, like right behind the steering wheel. Any ideas what may cause this noise? Easy fix? Thank you in advance.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  2. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

That far up in steering column ..have no ideal..Good luck.
  3. Pikey

I pulled the covers off of the top and bottom of the column. I still cant figure out where the noise is coming from. The clock spring has a tab that is supposed to go into a hole. it is off slightly and the tab will not go into the hole. I played with the clock spring while turning the wheel back and forth, it made no difference in the noise, so I think that I can rule the clock spring out. It sounds like it is above that area. It could be traveling up the shaft and it just sounds like it is there. I have no idea at this point.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

A few years back I had a growling noise like that in the column of a Tahoe, unfortunately I was deployed at the time so my wife took it to a dealership to get repaired, the problem ended up being a bolt that was backing out and rubbing on the column tilt mechanism.
  5. peto

peto New Member

Yukon Steering Growling Turn to the Left

Hello Pikey,
    I have this exact same problem on my 2005 Yukon XL, only when steering to the left. Did you ever figure out what it is? Mine started at low speeds only, but is now more constant and occures when moving at higher speeds. I would appreciate any input that you may have discovered. Thanks
  6. Pikey

It turned out to be the steering gearbox! There is a 3 and 4 bolt pattern model. The one with 3 bolts on top had known issues. Many remans 3 bolts would be fine. I ended up with a remaned 4 bolt. It actually felt like it was in the column, but was traveling up the steering shaft. I had a full discussion with another member about this and the problems with the gearbox, but I can not locate the thread.
  7. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

This is good to know. My Avalanche does the same thing under the same conditions... but with right-hand turns. And it doesn't do it often. If it gets worse, this information will be useful.
  8. Pikey

it started out only turning left in parking lots at a slow speed. Then it progressed to happening around 20 mph. I discovered the solution by accident. I had taken my truck in to have the hydro brake booster replaced under warranty. They shop noticed the gear box leaking and replaced it under the same claim. The noise stopped