Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2005 Z71 front end noise. (Not steering Shaft)

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by HDCLINT7, Jan 2, 2014.

1. HDCLINT7

HDCLINT7 New Member

Howdy Guys, i have a 2005 crew cab z71 and have acquired a popping noise in the front area of the truck. Its noticeable only at low speeds. I inspected the front cv axles and one had a busted boot. Went ahead and replaced both cv shafts while i was at it. Noise was still there after i replaced the cv's. Next i removed the front drive shaft and the noise went away. I thought maybe the u-joints were bad so i swapped driveshafts with my brother who has the same truck. Noise came back with new drive shaft... I'm at whits end. Truck has 98k miles and noise started after i used 4wd last weekend to get out of a slick spot. How common do the front diffs go bad. Its a pop/clunk thats constant while moving at slow speeds.