1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2006 4.8 silverado cam swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 2006bowtie, Jan 17, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. 2006bowtie

2006bowtie New Member

Sorry if this has been discussed, I i recently had the collapsed lifter problem. Well the cam lobe finally gave out and no longer hold the rocker tight against the valve spring. So tomorrow I'm starting the tear down to put the cam in. I ordered a comp cam from jegs, part number 54-450-11. I was looking for any pointers, tips, tricks, or if anyone has done a cam swap themselves for the first time how long did it take? If there's a thread on this already, I'd like a link, I'm on a cell phone so searchings time taking and slightly difficult. if not, I'm willing to be the guinea pig for documenting the project. thanks in advance for all reply's and suggestions!
  2. 2006bowtie

2006bowtie New Member

Also i was told I'd be better off getting a custom tune as well, and there's really nothing local around here. Any good suggestions on where i could send my pcm to get tuned and a round about price?
  3. InfamousKG

InfamousKG New Member

I really would like to know about this too. I've heard rumor of people putting the bigger LS cams in a 4.8 but I haven't actually seen one. I know that there is a couple of places in Memphis that could tune it out for you. I think Hypertech has a headquarters in Memphis and there is a company by the name of Godman Performance that will do a tune on pretty much anything.
  4. billnorman

billnorman Member 100 Posts

Check and see if you can use your old lifters on your new cam. I presume since one collapsed you are junking them. They can be had reasonable.