2006 Chevy 3500 4x4

Discussion in 'Member Garages' started by ntbush83, Sep 28, 2012.

1. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

2006 Chevy 3500 4x4 (2012-09-28 09:25:41)

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wow, now that's a truck!

3. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I'm liking the truck as well!

FYI, you've probably found out that that chrome stuff is a P.I.T.A. to remove. My dad and I figured out that if you start peeling away about 6 inches, and then use a heat gun and heat a few inches at a time (on the outside of the strip), it peels off a LOT easier. Most of the tape should come off with it when doing it like that as well.

4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Very Nice Truck!!!

If it's the same 3m tape they use on the moldings I had on my 2011, I used a heat gun the same way and it left all the tape behind on my doors. Then after removing the tape with goo-gone I can see in the clearcoat where the tape was. Almost as if they put the molding on while the clearcoat was still curing. Really can not see it unless your looking for it but I know its there.:no:Little disappointed in that craftsmanship. I know its a truck but if its gonna be a blemish on a brand new truck, I want to be the one that puts it there.:great:

5. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

We used a 3M eraser wheel to remove the tape as opposed to goo gone, and I see no haze from the tape on my clear coat. You could try going over it with an eraser wheel, or you could even try using claybar to see if it will take away that haze.

6. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Thanks fellas!! Here's the bad news.... the chrome is a custom job that the owner before me had done. Its actually mirrored finished stainless and they part that I didn't know till after I bought it was that it is stuck on with silicone glue! I took it to a body shop to get that one piece removed and they could get the chrome piece off but it left silicone glue all over the side of truck which does not come off the paint! They tried everything they had including eraser wheels. Eventually they just had to sand it all down and repaint that section. Ended up costing me a couple hundred bucks and right now just can't afford to do that to the whole truck! Really sucks bad!

7. new01xkrowner

new01xkrowner New Member

That's a man's man truck! uhhhh!

8. gmfan21

gmfan21 New Member

Love it, so shiny and new!

9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Great truck. This reminds me I really need to put my garage together on here.

10. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

you said it.that sucks.eventually though, you will have it how you like it Brian