2006 Chevy Colorado Extended Cab 4x4 Z71; Rear Passenger Wheel Lockup on Left Curve

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Mechtech, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Mechtech

Mechtech New Member

I am new to community and would like to give my greetings to all of you. I have a 2006 Chevrolet Colorado Extended Cab 4x4 Z71. While in 4 wheel drive, you can steer fairly sharp to the left and the passenger side rear wheel will lock and scoot/slide the tire like the brake is engaged. When the 4 wheel drive is off, everything works as intended. I took the inspection plate off and the rear-end looked fine. I am uncertain as to what the issue is. Thank you for your help.

2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site. Do you have the "G80" option where if one of the wheels starts to slip, the rear end locks both wheels together? I don't know if that would explain the problem or not. If you get a chance, post in the "Member Introduction" forum and get to know the folks on the site. Also, if you will fill out the "Signature" section in the User CP, it will let everyone know what you drive and might help getting responses quicker. Hopefully someone with more "mechanical" skills will be able to give a better answer. Good luck!

3. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

WOW, I've never heard or saw anything like that before. I wouldn't even know where to start to diagnose this one.

4. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!
    I hope we can help you out.

5. steves86ta

steves86ta Rockstar

what 4wd range is it in? 4hi or 4 lo?

6. steves86ta

steves86ta Rockstar

Also how long since a diff service?

7. Mechtech

Mechtech New Member

Sorry for the delay. It does have the G80, and it does the same thing regardless of Hi or Lo. As for the service, every 3000 miles, so about 2 months ago. Anything else you need to know?

8. steves86ta

steves86ta Rockstar

you do a diff service every 3000 miles? Or an oil change?

9. Mechtech

Mechtech New Member

Sorry, I overlooked the "diff"... I had it checked before Thanksgiving. I also checked it myself, it was perfectly clean, no signs of any trauma.

10. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

if you have the G80, then the "scoot" is it engaging and doing its job.
    a loccer makes both tire spin @ the same rate, therefore when you turn its trying to make them go the same, causing the jerk. im pretty sure there is nothing wrong w it. :great: