2006 Chevy Silverado 5.3 Dreaded Chirp

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by wabcyouthpastor, Oct 4, 2013.

1. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Kapelusprime,

I am sorry to learn that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle and your dealership cannot duplicate that problem. Would you be interested in getting a second opinion from another dealership in your area? If so, private message me including a brief overview of your concern, contact information, VIN, and exact mileage?

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care

2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

your engine is one of the many in this 2007-2013 engine class that has these issues. this is caused by issues with the engine design. I would only use the dexos GM approved engine oils for these engines. you may have internal damage even with the low miles . oil passageways do get restricted and damage occurs with the use of non dexos GM approve oil...

dealerships know of these failures. many owners have these issues . I know of businesses purchasing only 6 cylinder engines to avoid these failures 2007-2013 5.3L ...............

3. Kapelusprime

Kapelusprime Member

Thanks! I'll do just that.

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I wish that someone would record the sound made by the chirp and post it to you tube si we can hear it.

5. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You're fortunate that there was a mechanic who really knew the cause of the problem.

Just a note about cam noise, If you are a bay boomer and growing up in the 50's to 60's, nearly every car & pu had a straight six's with solid lifters. Sitting on the front porch all summer long with not much to do, you played guessing game with your buddy's on what type of car was coming down the street by the tappet noise. It was very easy to to tell the difference between Ford and Chevy. I lived on a curve and you couldn't see the car until it was only a few house away. Reading this blog brought back memories.

6. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

You are welcome!

Best regards,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care