2006 Envoy Trailer Brake Controller

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by Loubiere, May 15, 2007.

1. Loubiere

Loubiere New Member

The 2006 Envoy has a 7 wire trailer plug. Does anyone know where to hook up a trailer brake controller to this set up.

I can't find any wiring diagrams or other information in the owner's manual.

Thanks for any help.

2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

There should be a small plastic cover in the upper left corner of the driver's footwell, that protects the location where the factory pigtail plugs in. You should have also gotten a 4 foot factory pigtail for setting up a trailer brake controller. On the pigtail, there should be a label with a diagram that will show you the wire pinout, as well as the location where the pigtail plugs in. If you didn't get one, you might want to stop by your local dealer, and inquire about it.

3. Loubiere

Loubiere New Member

Trailer Brake

Thank you very much for the input. I will search for that plug.

4. Loubiere

Loubiere New Member

Can't Find Plug

Traileadr,

I dug around the area under the steering wheel and could only find the computer diagnosis plug.

I went to the dealer and they did not know a whole lot.

It would be strange for the Envoy to be factory wired with a 7 plug trailer connector and not have a way to hook a trailer brake controller.

Can you give me any more directions of maybe a picture?

Thanks for any help.

Bill

5. Loubiere

Loubiere New Member

Found It

For anyone hunting this connection in the future (2006/7 Envoy).

Remove the plastic cover below the steering wheel. It has two 7 mm screws pointing up.

Look to the left-there is a large wiring pack. Four wires are taped on to it. They have markers as to what is what. This is where the trailer brake controller connects.

You also have to connect a cable under the hood. It is clipped to the wiring harness next to the fuse box. I am still trying to find the correct place to connect this.

6. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

sorry, I didn't get back to you on this. I've been away from the site for the most part for the last week.
    Glad to hear you found it.
    Too bad the dealer was no help.

7. hockster31

hockster31 New Member

any idea if this is the same for the 2008 Envoy? Just got mine and need to install a brake controller.

8. Loubiere

Loubiere New Member

Brake Controller

I don't know for sure if it is the same. It is easy to check out. Pull the large plastic shield coverging the under side of the dash. Look for a taped off 4 wire set on the left side above the kick panel.