1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2006 Silverado 1500 wt 4.3liter V6 Service Brake System Light

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by astroo, Apr 7, 2014.

Random Gallery Photos

1. astroo

astroo New Member

I have a 2006 1500 Work Truck series with the 4.3 Liter V6. Roughly 80,000 miles. When I hit the brakes hard the parking brake light comes on and flashes a message "Service Braking System". Brakes feel a little weak. Not bad though. I just bought this truck used. Need to figure this out...anyone have any ideas.
  2. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

you may have a leak. check the brake line that runs along the frame rail next to the fuel tank.

then all the other lines. GM used bad brake line steel. I have seen these get porous and weep brake fluid. hard to find [no drops] ..line will be wet though .
  3. astroo

astroo New Member

OK...didn't think about that. Will check that out
  4. jason778

jason778 New Member

Along what has been said, check your reservoir. That message can indicate the fluid is getting low, hence a leak somewhere as has been mentioned. I am loosing fluid slowly and don't have a visible leak anywhere and believe it most be the Master Cylinder has failed and is leaking in to the brake booster. I have another thread going because I am trying to determine the correct booster and master cylinder to replace mine with.
  5. j cat

I doubt your master is leaking . the line going along the fuel tank is the one that weeps.

some have had to do this a few times in the rust belt.. hard to see.
  6. astroo

astroo New Member

I have checked that line and everywhere else. Can't find any fluid on any line. The master isn't leaking either. I'm going to pull the rear wheels and drums and check the wheel cylinders to see if they may be seeping. Not losing a lot of fluid, but it is going somewhere. This morning the pedal went to the floor so there may be air in the lines. This one is puzzling me.
  7. j cat

you have to use a strong light and inspect every inch of line. no quick task ..if your rear brake cylinders leak most times the rear shoes would lock up//..