2006 silverado 5.3L hissing noise when reving

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Jimbo3, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Jimbo3

Jimbo3 Rockstar 100 Posts

Hi, I just started noticing a hissing like sound when i go to rev my truck. Also it seems to have a rougher idle then normal and gas mileage seems to be worse... A friend of mine said it could be the intake gasket because he had his replaced on his 05 silverado.. He also said they are made out of plastic. Anything idea of what it could be? I plan on going to the dealership tomorrow and telling them, but an idea would be nice. Truck is stock except for a supper 40's flowmaster muffler.

James

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Vacuum leak somewhere, could be the intake gasket or cold be a hose.

3. Jimbo3

I brought it to the dealer today and they are taking it in tomorrow first thing... they believe it is the intake manifold gasket, which is made out of plastic... stupid chevy lol

4. Jimbo3

If any one has a stock 06 5.3l silverado, if you rev your engine, can you hear a gasping noise and the air passing threw your throttle body?

5. Jimbo3

6. GMClone

GMClone Rockstar

In the video it sounded like the hissing was noticably a split second before the revs increased, so that would make me think it is not the intake gasket, but maybe a vacuum tube or something related to the throttle control?

I'm far from an expert, so hopefully someone else will chime in with something more helpful.

7. Jimbo3

exactly, and I can hear it inside the cab when I am driving... so any input will help!

8. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike Rockstar 100 Posts

that noise is from your intake. is your airbox completely stock? do you have the oem paper element filter in it?

my truck sounds the exact same after i took the breather off the airbox and put a k and n in it its just the air sucking threw

9. Jimbo3

Everything is 100% stock with a normal air filter... no K&N or nothing

10. xjoedx

xjoedx New Member

My truck makes the same sound, but it has an aftermarket CAI in it. Didn't make the sound beforehand