Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2006 Silverado and Bilstein shocks recomendations

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by tbeard, May 5, 2013.

1. tbeard

tbeard New Member

I just purchased a LT Crew Cab 2006. Has the factory shocks. I will be replacing with Bilstein. Any suggestions on what Seriers of shock? Seriers 4600 shows 2 P/N for front and 2 for rear. Then there is a HD shock listed also. So I am not sure which P/N to order...Thx for feedback.

2. Psjoe

Psjoe New Member

Have the same truck. Spent hours reading about what shocks to buy. Wanted Bilstein but read good things about other choices also, everyone has a favorite. After talking with my mechanic I went with Monroe sensa trac. Wasn't convinced the Bilstein's were worth the extra money. My shocks were also factory original and noticed a huge difference right out of the shop. Tightened up everything including the steering. I drive 80% town 20% hi-way, rare off road. Had em two days and quite satisfied.

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

many guys go with the 5100 series. I have the 4600 on my yukon xl. I had monro reflex on it for less than a year when I switched to bilstein. The reflex were bad after a year. The pistons would not return when pushed in by hand. I took them back for warranty. The guy at the parts store said that I was lucky to get a year out of any monro on Michigan roads. There is a major difference between the new monro and the new bilstein. The bilsteins were only few $ more, and well worth it in my opinion.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  4. squatchy

squatchy Active Member 100 Posts

Just because a mechanic tells you something doesn't make it true. Forums full of people who have a general consensus of whats good and whats not is a far better tell than a mechanic who sells a certain brand. Bilstein shocks are well regarded as a great choice for shocks/struts. Basically the 5100 and 4600 are the same shock, but 5100s were designed for lifted trucks. They do make them for 0-2 inches of lift so if you are stock those would be the ones to go with. I think it really comes down to do you want zinc/black or yellow/blue shocks?