1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2006 Silverado brake light issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Tpryor, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Tpryor

Tpryor New Member

I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado. My question is regarding the brake lights.. My running lights are working fine, and the third brake light works properly as when I step on the brake it lights up, but my taillights do not. The turn signals work fine on both sides, and the bulbs look okay.. I am looking for something that may be the cause of this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Go ahead and throw some new bulbs in. My 07 Classic ( 06 leftover) pops brake light bulbs every 6-8 mths. I just replace them both at once, saves time and tickets.

You can also chase your wires from the firewall box back to see if there is any breaks or frayed wires.

3. Tpryor

Tpryor New Member

Thanks for such a quick reply! I'm definitely not against just getting new bulbs, but would they both go out at the exact same time?

4. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Heres how I see things, the truck is an 06, so its 6 years old, may have orginal bulbs. Bulbs and chasing wires are a cheap/free fixes before you go spending money throwing part guesses at it. Start Simple and work up.

5. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I agree. Try the bulbs first. I had my brake lights go out and came to find out some water had gotten in and started causing some corrosion in there. Fortunately I caught it early enough before it got bad. Always start simple though. And bulbs are cheap. Don't go get the best bulbs you can. Buy some cheap ones and try it out.

6. jfr1800

jfr1800 New Member

There is a fuse for the stop lights in the instrument panel fuse box. It is a 15 amp fuse marked "VEH STOP" thereis also a fuse in the same box for the center high mount stop light (CHMSL) which is 10 amp. I would check this out.

JFR

7. Tpryor

Tpryor New Member

I got new bulbs and that wasn't it, so I got to looking at the fuses and found one that had blown. They now work. Thanks for your help.

8. jfr1800

jfr1800 New Member

Your welcome.
    JFR

9. michaelbounds

michaelbounds New Member

Gentlemen, I need your help please! I've been having the same issues as desribed above. However, both fuses are good and I replaced the bulbs...even tested them to make sure they were ok. Still nothing!!!!! Any suggestion?????

10. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Vehicle info helps.

You need to check for voltage at the tail light circuit board.

No voltage, check the wiring, moving forward. If the wiring looks good, check for voltage at the brake light switch.