1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2006 silverado ignition wont switch wont turn

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by cgcomeaux123, Nov 22, 2008.

1. cgcomeaux123

cgcomeaux123 New Member

hi i have a 2006 silverado and it was stolen recently, we recovered last night after only 2 days, the person who had it actually washed and put my original tire back on after fixing my flat for me:) strange huh?

Anyway my question is this? When i got in to start it I put the key in the ignition and it would not turn, There was no damage at all to the ignition because when i left the vehicle I had lock the keys inside so whoever took had the original keys and had no reason to damage the ignition to have to start it.

I was wondering if anyone new of a reason why the ignition would not turn?
  2. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

Try rocking the steering wheel a little to the left end right while you try to turn the ignition.
  3. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  4. nickt6494

nickt6494 New Member

after about a year of having my 06 i had the same problem. In my case my original key was just worn down i had a few new ones made and it seems to work now occasionally i will have to work the key a couple of times to get it to work tho. hope it helps. Glad you got your ride back.
  5. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

welcome!
    Sorry to hear about your loss, but glad to hear about the recovery! :party:

:sign0016:
  6. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Yes, rock the wheel slightly at the same time turning the key. Get some liquid graphite and spray
    into the lock and work the key in/out and while turning. Appears that he may have did something
    while joy riding....

Jeff