2006 silverado ignition wont switch wont turn

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by cgcomeaux123, Nov 22, 2008.

1. cgcomeaux123

cgcomeaux123 New Member

hi i have a 2006 silverado and it was stolen recently, we recovered last night after only 2 days, the person who had it actually washed and put my original tire back on after fixing my flat for me:) strange huh?

Anyway my question is this? When i got in to start it I put the key in the ignition and it would not turn, There was no damage at all to the ignition because when i left the vehicle I had lock the keys inside so whoever took had the original keys and had no reason to damage the ignition to have to start it.

I was wondering if anyone new of a reason why the ignition would not turn?

2. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

Try rocking the steering wheel a little to the left end right while you try to turn the ignition.

3. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!

4. nickt6494

nickt6494 New Member

after about a year of having my 06 i had the same problem. In my case my original key was just worn down i had a few new ones made and it seems to work now occasionally i will have to work the key a couple of times to get it to work tho. hope it helps. Glad you got your ride back.

5. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

welcome!
    Sorry to hear about your loss, but glad to hear about the recovery! :party:

:sign0016:

6. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Yes, rock the wheel slightly at the same time turning the key. Get some liquid graphite and spray
    into the lock and work the key in/out and while turning. Appears that he may have did something
    while joy riding....

Jeff