1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2006 Silverado No Heat

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by trashman301, Jan 11, 2011.

1. trashman301

trashman301 New Member

On my '06 silverado i have replaced the thermostat, and the temp. on the engine still isn't where it should be, it gets up to 195 and then it goes to 184 and moves around. I have zero heat, it blows cold not even warm. Could this be a bad water pump? The heater hose coming out of the water pump to the heater core is cold, the other hose at the heater core is warm. I have already ruled out air in the system, I already got it all out. Please help!!!
  2. MonkeyBiz

MonkeyBiz Member

Plugged heater core?
  3. auzivision

auzivision Rockstar

I've been chasing down a similar problems. Cold hose indicates no hot fluid which means fluid is not flowing… why no flow is the big question? Could be a plugged core (easy fix, just back flush), could be a bad H2O pump (see if coolant is circulating when engine is running mostly likely would be overheating if it wasn’t) , could be the system is low on coolant (sounds like you checked that), could be a big pocket causing the pump to cavitate.

One thing I haven't figured out on mine is somewhere there is a valve that controls coolant flow to the core. Not sure where it is, but something has to shut off flow in the summer time... I'm pretty sure. Anyone familiar with how this works or where it’s located?

After you replace the T-Stat did you 'burp' the system? How did you rule out air in the system? With the engine running is the upper radiator hose firm and warm? Does the coolant in the reservoir go up and down when you squeeze it? Do you hear antifreeze sloshing around?
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  4. trashman301

trashman301 New Member

I can squeeze the upper hose and the coolant moves in the reservoir, I had it ildling last night and the water temp got up to 220 and the heater hose coming out of the water pump was still cold. I unhooked the upper heater hose and nothing was coming out of it. Does this mean the pump is not working correctly?
  5. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

This sure sounds like you have no flow, or at least very little flow. I would suspect that the impeller is intermittantly slipping on the water pump shaft. This is also indicated by the fact that your temp guage is reading all over the place. When the impellor is slipping, temp guage goes up. When it doean't slip & water circulates for a minute, temp goes down. With your engine hot & the thermostat open, you should be able to see coolant flowing in your rad. You should also have coolant flowing through your heater hoses if you disconnect them. Either everything is plugged up on this baby, or it's the water pump impellor.
  6. Project1

Project1 Rockstar 100 Posts

im gonna piggy back this thread because i have a similar problem i same year pickup but 4.3l i turn the heat on get heat for like 1 minute then goes cold. not that experienced in the a/c heat field so was wondering if its similar to this.
  7. REV_THS

REV_THS New Member

has this issue been fixed? I just got back from a work trip and now its cold here in Nebraska and when i run the heat in my 06 silverado i get nothing but ICE COLD air.... Checked all my fuses nothings blown, I dont know what else to look into. Any ideas?
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

does it have the fancy duel climate control? if so, it cold be the blend door actuator. try unhooking the battery for a few minutes and reconnecting it. after reconnecting turn the key forward, not start, and wait for a minute or so. you may hear the actuators recalibrating. you can also just pull the hvac fuses. But, sometimes there is more than one, so the battery is the best bet.
  9. zippstripp

zippstripp Member 1 Year

I would try flushing through the heater core both ways. Garden hose and maybe some air pressure but don't get crazy with it. Try and hold a rag over one end and check for debris comeing out. If so I have used something like lime away poor directly into the heater core to loosen it and then flushed again. Just my experience,hope it helps.