1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2006 Suburban LTZ - Rumbling noise 35~50 MPH

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Venango Mark, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Venango Mark

Venango Mark New Member

Hello,
    I have a 2006 Suburban LTZ with the 5.3L Vortex engine and off road package. It has 100K miles. I have done all regular maintenance at local Chevy dealer. Just did 100K tune up. Trany flush / maintence at 60K, etc. When driving after the warm up we get a supradic rumble that seems to come form engine compartment. This is not constant but seems to occur when driving in local traffic not highway at speeds between 35~50. RPMs are typically low 1500 RPM and usually when feathering gas as in constant moving traffic situation. I'm thinking it may be a speed sensor but dealer stated there has not been many problems with tranny on 2006 model. No idiot light indications either.

Any thoughts appreceated

Thanks

Mark
    Venango PA

[TABLE="width: 500"]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome Mark, perhaps a pulley, or a belt driven device under the hood. Idler pulleys and belt tensioner pulleys are a common failure item. Try takeing the belts off and turning the different pulleys by hand, see if any sound/feel rough.

It could also be a tire with a broken belt.
  3. Venango Mark

Venango Mark New Member

Hi Ray - Thanks for the guidance.

I'll try the pullies to see what happens. Just had 4 new sneakers put on, Cooper discovery H/T's so probally not that. I guess the other thing I should mention is that I did have front end alignment because it was tracking left significantly. Even after alignemnet still not perfect but much better.

Thaks again!
    Mark
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Don't completely discount the sneakers, I've had brand new one with belt problems. I don't think it happens very often, but it is a possibility.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I too have had brand new tires that had bad belts. They replaced 2 on my wifes torrent after 6 months because the would howl at highway speeds. I would make sure that you checkout the ac compressor when the belts are off. Some compressors will make the noise that you are describing when they engage ans disengage. That would explain why you only hear it at slower speeds. After having my 2003 yukon xl for 3 months I finally figured out that the ac was always on unless I pressed the snowflake button. Then a icon with a snowflake with a line thru it would show up on the HVAC control. Before I discovered that I would here that compressor kick on and off constantly. It was the first and only GM vehicle I have owned that had a default mode with the AC on.