1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2007 1500 Suburban - some questions....

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by grey7399, Oct 16, 2012.

1. grey7399

grey7399 New Member

I've owned the truck since 2008

1. Its noisy. On the highway, the air noise is almost to loud for conversation. The dealership said "thats how an SUV is." Hubbys' "other suv" is not like that. But its smaller. Do I need new seals? They look good, still soft & firm, no cracking. What about those add on vent cover things for windows? Usually in a smoke color? will they cut down on noise with the windows up?

2. Sometimes when I start the truck and the AC is on, I hear a BRRAAAAAPPPDDDDTT!!!! sound. wth is that?

3. If the truck is hot, and I fill the tank, it will over flow. Drives me nuts. I have to stand at my window with the key in and turned to watch the gauge go up so I can shut off the pump at the just before full mark. WHY does it do this?

4. I have a rattle under the dash. I fixed it. The rattle comes from where two pieces of dash meet directly under the steering wheel. I don't know what broke, fell out, wore out to create this noise but so far, a folded up monthly grocery receipt for a family of 5 stops the noise. Its better than the kids soccer sock and smells better. Is there something else I should do? Is it indicative of a bigger issue? A leader of a different problem?

5. Best shocks for a smooth ride. EVERYONE has a different opinion. Stiffer shocks, softer shocks, $$$$$ shocks. We live in the country on a rocky road but I mostly do paved street driving. Watching my passengers hang onto the grab bars and ask if its always this rough is making me feel bad! haha

6. flaking paint or wax on the roof? Right in front, dead center of the windshield. WTH do I do to fix that? The rest of the paint is fine. I'm trying to save up the cash for a detail shop to have a look at it, but I'm not confident with our local guy. he looked at it and I got a "I dunno why it did that" response from him and a "maybe we can make it look better." UGH.

Ok thats enough for now.

Sharon
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hi, I hope I can help with some of your questions,
    1) in my 2005 yukon xl the wind noise is fine. It is not loud at all. I have EGR vent visors on the windows and I think that it did change the noise a small amount. Do you have a bug guard on it? I have heard of people getting major noise from the bug guard.

2)your ac sound could be a few things, A bad ac belt tensioner can make a noise when the ac clutch engages. The ac clutch itself could be going bad, or it is a normal noise. Mine does make some noise when the clutch engages.
    3) No idea!!. could be that the pressure in the tank is high when it is hot so it spits the fuel out. But, I would figure that with the cap off the pressure would be gone. There was a discussion in another thread about this. If I can find it I will post the link. http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sh...ing-up-issues?highlight=filling#axzz29UJEfb87

4)For your rattle. I would pull the 2 panels off and take a look at the clips. sometimes the clips are not positioned correctly and do not hold the panels tight. Some clip holes may have a piece of felt around them, this is supposed to stop rattling.
    5)Everyone has there own opinion about the shocks. Bilstein are supposed to be a great shock. There is a chance that your truck has bilsteins from the factory. I have never had them so I can not comment on them. I put monroe reflex monotubes on my xl and they rode like crap, handled awesome but felt like you were going to break teeth on every bump. I went to the regulate reflex and the ride is alittle spongy but, it is better than what it was. What I have learned about shocks is you either get a lot of control or a smooth ride. If you want control you give up ride quality and vice versa. When you look for shocks be sure that you look at the full description of the shock. They will say things like not for WY7 smooth ride package. If you have coil springs in the rear then you will need to either replace the rear shocks with factory nivomat shocks or put new coils on when you change out the shocks. Not doing this can be dangerous because the rear will be really spongy. (Learned from experience on my 2003 yukon xl.)

5) If it is paint flaking then I do not know what to tell you. If it is wax try using a clay bar on it and see if it takes it off.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  3. grey7399

grey7399 New Member

You are busy here! I appreciate the thoughtful answers. I prefer a smooth ride over control right now. We have two other trucks for trails etc. This is the to and fro truck. 3 kids, 2 adults, a cross country drive and no complaining + a request to "do it again" hell yeah I love my truck, lol.