2007 Crew cab 2wd, Lift and shock question?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by gangster_martini, Sep 27, 2010.

1. gangster_martini

gangster_martini New Member

Hey guys.. thought it would be a good idea to join a forum so I can find answers to my many questions! I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 crew cab 2wd new body style and I would like to lift it 4.5 inches. The question is how high can I go before I would need new shocks? Many lift kits come with the choice to have shocks included or not at all. Any input would be helpful, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2010
  2. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI Rockstar 100 Posts

First, welcome to the GMTC. Now, I would say anything over a 2.5" leveling kit and you are going to want the extended shocks. And I'm sure some will tell you even with just the leveling kit it's a good idea to swap out the stock shocks.

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

********thread moved here***********
    If you have any questions about the move you can feel free to PM me.

4. Sam_A

Sam_A Rockstar 100 Posts

Welcome to the club!

I'm running truck on stock suspension, so I can't really give you any good advice on the lift, but there are a lot of people here who can.

5. gangster_martini

gangster_martini New Member

Thank you very much! I was leaning more towards getting the shocks just to be safe anyways..

6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome!!! I have some experience with this, as I did a ton of research prior to me recently installing my kit, and found that you will probably either need to replace your shocks or find a kit that uses shock extension mounts. However, most recommend replacing the shocks. That said, this is about the only experience I have with suspension items, so I would not put too much weight on my statement.....definitely see what others have to say.

7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

You really need longer shocks or shock extensions with just a leveling kit so with a 4" lift you definetly need longer shocks. The reason most lift companies make the shocks a option is that some people what to run a differant type shock or a dual shock set up. Which lift kits have you looked at?