1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2007 NNBS 5.3 Silverado: Tune for Volant Ram Air CAI?

Discussion in 'Programmers & Tuning' started by nkeen07, Apr 4, 2012.

1. nkeen07

nkeen07 New Member

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum, but I've been doing some searching around trying to find this answer and haven't had any luck. I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 NNBS w/the 5.3 (non-flex fuel). Currently performance wise all I have is a Flowmaster 40 single in, dual out exhaust, but I have purchased a Volant Powercore CAI for it. My question is: do I need to tune it, or by resetting my ECM (power cycling it upon installation of the CAI) will my factory ECM settings be enough to adjust for the increased flow? I have previously run CAI's on trucks without tuners and haven't noticed any issues, but at that time I didn't know much about running lean or tuning at all for that matter, so I could have been lean and not known it.

Right now I have just ordered the Powercore CAI. Is it safe to run just that without a tune? I was also planning on trying out the ram air tube for improved throttle response and mpg's (so they claim) as I do a lot of highway driving. Has anyone run the full set-up with the tube without a tune (or at all for that matter)? Truck has low miles and I want this one to last for me, so I don't want to lean it out and end up with issues down the road. If I need a tune, I will just wait another couple months until I have enough cash to get one and then install the intake at the same time as the tune.

Also, has anyone run the Diablosport Trinity T1000 on this truck (any NNBS with the 5.3l)? If so how are the results? I really want a custom tune, but there are a few issues I have with doing that instead of a handheld. One: I don't want to have to worry about sending/receiving ECM's from a place like Blackbear, Westers, etc. If I have to have work done I don't want to deal with that hassle. Two: There are no dyno shops anywhere close to me that I can find, so I can't get a tune done locally. 3. I want a data logger, and something like the T1000 can do that for me. I also want to be able to view/clear codes, which is another reason I am leaning towards something like the Trinity. They just seem much more convenient than an ECM re-flash a tuner would do for me. I understand that performance wise I would most likely be much better off with a custom tune, but does it practically make any sense to go that route when you can get a data logger, tuner, and code reader that is readily available to you all the time for much less?

Thanks for all your help. This site looks great and I hope I can contribute as much as I learn.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  2. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Hey there! I installed the Volant CAI in my truck about a year ago, and haven't had a single problem with runnin lean. I've done quite a few drives from Monterey, CA to Las Vegas, NV (little over 500 miles one way) without a hitch. Also, the ram air scoop will have a definite increase in air intake above 40mph (don't expect to see any difference below 40). It's good you mentioned a programmer as well though as that'll help your truck take full advantage of the increased air flow!
    Interestingly enough, I'm also currently using a Diablo Sport Trinity programmer with custom tune from @06MonteSS . You'll have no problem flashing the tune from the Trinity to your truck! I installed the 87 Octane tune originally and did see an immediate improvement! However, the shift points still seemed rough for me. I would recommend a custom tune from Lew as well to really see a difference! These tunes are very easy to do. Log some drive time, send it to Lew via e-mail, get a custom tune back! Now I was concerned about the whole custom tune thing at first just because I am a little computer illiterate and was worried about frying my truck's system! Alas, Lew's instructions were easy to follow! If you are lookin at a Trinity, definitely talk with Lew or any of the other Lew Tuners out there, you WONT be disappointed! Good luck with the modding!
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  3. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Hey bud! First off.. welcome to GMTC! We're always glad to have new members here, especially ones that are into modding their trucks!

And a little more on your question regarding your CAI. I will second what Drake said about seeing some gains at higher speeds with the ram air tube installed. And regarding the needing a tune issue.. No, you don't necessarily need a tune. The increase in flow isn't so much that the sensors your truck uses to adjust how much fuel to feed your engine can't handle the increase. And that's what the sensors are there for anyways, to adjust the fuel portion of your air/fuel ratio by the readings coming from your MAF sensor.

Installing a programmable tune into your pickup definitely wont hurt though! :great:

AND: Resetting the computer... not necessary at all.
  4. nkeen07

nkeen07 New Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm still trying to decide on the ram air tube for the Volant. I'm waiting to hear back from Drake_korthos on whether or not I have to cut the inner fender to get it installed. If I do that will be a deal breaker for me b/c I don't want to do any cutting as I'll put the truck back to stock before I sell it in the future. However, the intake is installed and here are my results for acceleration that were measured from my buddy's data logger (fuel economy to come with time...once I train my foot to not be so throttle happy):

2007 Silverado 1500 LTZ w/OEM 20" wheels and new Goodyear Eagle LS2's (factory tire):
    Atmospheric conditions same for all testing: 55 F and 90% humidity with a couple mph side wind
    Load: Full tank of fuel with no passengers. Only added weight to truck are a roll up tonneau cover and aftermarket stainless oval side steps.
    Drive: AWD turned on launching off the converter at 1800 RPM's. 2 wheel drive wouldn't keep traction.
    Power Adders: Flowmaster 40 series single in/dual out w/dual rolled tips out the back (Not sure it adds that much power...but sounds good except when I'm pulling my enclosed. Lol)

Stock intake:
    0-60: 9-9.1 seconds every run
    Volant CAI w/lid installed:
    0-60: 8.3-8.6 seconds
    Volant CAI w/lid removed:
    0-60: 8.3-8.6 seconds

I am very pleased with the performance results, and it definitely sounds way better. I have run CAI's on my previous 2 1/2 tons and noticed little difference, but those were crappy K&N FIPK's. I figured the Volant was worth a try. Once you get above 4000 RPMs the Powercore filter really starts to growl, or under low RPM high load situations. Hopefully once I get over the performance I can back off and start to see some mileage improvements. It's promising as I decided to go 70 on the interstate yesterday and it stayed at 25 mpg in 4 cylinder mode the whole time.

Next step will be a Diablosport Trinity w/a custom Diablew tune I think. After that...a long time down the road...I may take it more extreme. I was at my fabricators shop the other day and his dad was finishing up an LS7 Silverado SS conversion...needless to say that got me thinking. I'll either take it one of 3 ways:
    1. Get a Duramax so I can pull heavier loads without borrowing my dad's every once in a while...lol
    2. Drop an LS7 in it and have RPM build the tranny
    3. Go forged internals and lower the compression so that I can throw a Whipple on it w/bigger injectors and a tune along w/an RPM tranny build.

Only time will tell which route I go...but I love the thought of having a truck that can stomp any car that messes w/me into the ground. If only I could do a Parresh Silverado build...lol.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I find it interesting that you 0-60 dropped that much. Must make ya happy. Mine is around 7 seconds on my truck, but I have a touch more work done, and you have larger wheels and i don't know your gearing and such. Get a tuned for sure tho. U thought that intake made a difference wait till ya get a tuner.

Alex
  6. nkeen07

nkeen07 New Member

I agree Alex. I didn't expect to see much of a gain, if any. But it was all checked with a data logger under the same conditions in the same location, so I'm trusting the results.

Idk how you could be in the 7 second range if you have a 5.3, extended cab, and 4 wheel drive. You're talking a 6200 pound truck with the sub 300 horse LM7 in 2005 that's 30-45 HP shy of what the LY5 is rated in the NBS's. You're getting into Nissan Titan territory at 7 seconds and those things are the rocket ships in the half ton truck world. I can maybe see a standard cab 2 wheel drive 5.3 being that fast. Maybe I'm just wrong...I do know that my buddies 02 was really fast back in the day with an intake, plug in tuner, and exhaust...but I just can't see it being 7 seconds. Maybe there is something I'm missing.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  7. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Man I'm telling ya I love this club. I myself just ordered a Volant cai. It should be here Wednesday and, I can't what to put it on. Got the ram air scoop hope there's not any cutting involved to put it on. Either way I'll do what it takes to make it work. Now I'm about to check into the tuners. Is the diablo trinity the one to go with. Don't want to get into anything to fancy. I do have some questions about the Lew custom tuning. Is that something you install with the diablo tuner. I'm very new to all this stuff and not much of a mechanic, I'm an electrician by trade but I'm really anxious to learn more. Thanks for the info looking forward to hearing from you guys.
  8. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

already replied to your other post in the other thread.... ;)