1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2007 Rear Brake Job Tip - Drums

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by BornAgainBiker55, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Good morning everyone! I was up late last night replacing the rear drum shoes for my 2007 Silverado NBS and I thought I'd post a little trick I used to remove the drums. The stock drums have two threaded holes near the center (like the older Toyota drums for anyone that remembers that garbage). If you have two M10 bolts with a 1.0 pitch, or "coarse thread" as some might say, you can use them in those holes to back the drums out slightly and brake the rust free. REMEMBER TO HAVE YOUR PARKING BRAKE OFF or you'll never get this out. I used M10x30 - 1.0 size.
    Now I just need to get them adjusted this morning and test drive my all new brakes (I did fronts two nights ago)
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Great tip, Ived used that trick on older Toyota's a lot but not many other vehicles had holes in the drums like that.
  3. yea, I was shocked, then thankful I didn't need to find my BFH to get it off. Moving makes your tools disappear
  4. Bowtied

Bowtied Member

why did some trucks even as new as 2007 come with drums and some with discs? i got lucky and my 04 has discs all the way around (bought truck at auction and didnt think to look at wheels/brake type) is it a cost effective thing? or something else in particular? i noticed my buddies GMC (which i thought was supposed to be the top of the line trucks) sierra 1500 2009 NBS has the drum brakes in the rear
  5. Off hand I can think of two possibilities:
    1.) Tractor / trailer rigs still use drums frequently, but with air actuated "s" cams. The claim I've heard is this system resists fade somewhat better than a disc, don't ask me how because that doesn't make sense to me. More likely it's because they can self adjust and self energize (apply themselves) in the event of air loss easier than a disc.
    2.) Parking brake & Economics. Simply, it's cheaper to install a drum brake because it has the parking brake parts integral to the design. I'd guess there's some parking brake "drum" and shoe with the rear rotors on these trucks.
    I'd vote #2 as the likely case
  6. JimmyA

JimmyA Member

If I remember correctly, GM had a over heating issue with rear disk brakes. I guess they found it cheaper to go back to drum brakes than re-engineering the disk brake issue!
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Part of GM's resolution for their braking issue was larger disc's to disapate heat faster and resist warpage, bigger disc's require bigger wheels and tires, which were more expensive at that time. Now larger wheels/tires are common place.
    Also with disc's even with shields in place water on the disc's greatly reduces stopping power, the rear disc's pick up more spray than the fronts.
    GM's 4500 and up series trucks from 2006 to 2010 had huge discs for the rear, they also had huge shields that slowed cooling airflow. My old 6500 series work truck used to get the disc's glowing when in city traffic.
  8. Lerch98

Lerch98 New Member

Thanks for the tip.

My 2005 WT 1500 needs a brake job and has rear drums.
    Here in the capitol of the rust belt getting drums off can be a b####. I have a very large 3 jaw puller and have had to use that at times.

As for rear drums and disks;
    My 2001 had 4 wheel disks, where as my 2005 has disk drums. Both WT standard cab, long box, 1500 4x4's with 5.3's and 4L60's
    I never had any issues with the rear disks except for wear and rust, although I have heard complaints from other people that the Chevys didn't have much braking effort. The 2001 required 'more pedal' as the 2005 tends to be 'touchy'. So maybe GM decided to go with the drums.