1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2007 Silverado 3rd brake light leak

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 07silverado4x4, May 6, 2009.

1. 07silverado4x4

07silverado4x4 New Member

I have an 07 Silverado that recently had a horrible leak from the 3rd brake light. I took it to the dealership where the problem was fixed under warranty. However, the headliner is now damaged with water marks and has a wonderful mildew smell. I pointed the damage out to the mechanics at the dealer when i dropped it off to be fixed. When I went to pick it up, they told me they did not replace the headliner because it is not covered under the warranty. Its my understanding that damage caused by a faulty part that is covered in the warrany, aslo covers damage to parts generally not covered if the damgae is due to the failing warrantied part. (for example my damaged headliner)

Has anyone else had this same problem?

Do i need to contact Chevy directly to resolve this?

Thanks!
  2. daddytech

daddytech New Member 100 Posts

several people on this site have had that same issue. my suggestion would be to take it to another dealer and see if they tell you the same thing because I am no authority but it seems to me that if there is a problem caused by a defective part that all other parts associated with that deffective part should be replaced as well under the warranty. if you took it to a small town dealer I would try and find a larger dealer somewhere near by. and I would also suggest checking your warranty information in your purchase agreement where you bought the vehicle , there may be some leagal speak in there that covers you some how. (wouldn't know personally, haven't had a new GM vehicle since i bought my IROC-Z in 85)
  3. luvmycolorado

luvmycolorado New Member

Same for '05 Colorado

I have an '05 Z71 Colorado with 72500 miles. I was told today that the leak at the back window had 2 causes. One was a leak at the third brake light but the other was due to a hole in the seam. I purchased platinum extended warranty (don't laugh it has already paid for itself time and again) and this is not covered either.

I thought manufacturer defect was covered for the life of the vehicle.

Did I miss something there?? :neutral:
  4. 07silverado4x4

You know, you would think in these tuff times we are all going through, especially manufactureres such as Chevy, they wouldnt wouldn't hesitate to fix these problems to try and keep a good image for the consumers. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Anyways, thanks for your input! Im currently waiting for a reply from another dealership.
  5. daddytech

nice decision , lol

good luck man
  6. markman34

markman34 New Member

same same?

Hi
    07 NBS silverado with a leak somewhere as well,
    Where have you noticed water? Have you had wet seatbelts? Dripping from the seatbelt area of the pillar?
    I took my unit to the dealer today to have it diagnosed and they told me it would likely NOT be covered by my 'top notch' 100,000km extended warranty.
    I have not seen any stains on the headliner though.
    I'm not sure if the water is coming from the 3rd brake light or the sunroof.
  7. luvmycolorado

luvmycolorado New Member

I found that the headliner is not covered under warranty. Since my truck has over 70K miles, not even my platinum level extended warranty covered the leak or the damage to the headliner.

I tried to use the manufacturer defect to both GM & the insurance company to no avail.
  8. luvmycolorado

luvmycolorado New Member

07 NBS silverado with a leak somewhere as well

Mark, both the leaks on my truck are at the rear window (that has no weatherproofing strip as OEM). The leaks come from a leaky 3rd brake light and a faulty welded seam. I only see the water at both upper corners of the rear window.

Yeah, my platinum ext warranty doesn't cover water leaks of any kind.

9. daddytech

that's kind of sad actually, and they wonder why they aren't selling as many GM vehicles any more, what do they expect when they don't have a recall for a design or manufacturing flaw like that. or at least cover it and fix the issue properly for the people that have a problem with it.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the more i hear about the newer trucks the more i love my 99, and my 89 for that matter no major problems or design flaws with either one of those, Just a paint peeling issue with the 89.
  10. 07silverado4x4

Yes my seatbelt on the drivers side is always wet...As well was the floor. I tried two different dealerships... Both trips were wasted and a joke!..I just got some gasket sealer, peeled off all the **** they put on there, and fixed it myself... so far so good..I was also told they would not replace the headliner.. They offered to "clean" it for me.. however i told them thats ok, I want it done right, so i'll just do it myself..seems to be the only way to get things done these days..