1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2008 2500HD Diesel, I need help

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Axobreil, Jul 4, 2011.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Axobreil

Axobreil New Member

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the diesel world and I am in the process of buying a new truck. My dads friend has a 2008 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.6 Diesel, Crew Cab with the Z71 Package 2WD. The truck looks really nice and has 135,000 miles on it. I just need some input, what do you guys think? good buy, too much? Not worth it? Please help me out guys I want to get a good truck, I'm definitely buying a chevy though.
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Kind of difficult for us to determine a good buy long distance, & you didn't put in the price. Take it on a good test drive & check everything. Listen for any abnormal noises. Look it over closely too. You can identify a lot of problems just by looking (oil leaks, fuel leaks, coolant leaks, rust issues) If you don't know much about trucks or diesels, it would probably be worth it to take it to a mechanic & have him give it the once over.
  3. Axobreil

Axobreil New Member

Hey Stephan,

Sorry about the price! I totally forgot, the guy wants 20K flat. I did inspect the truck to the best of my knowledge, I drove the truck around and listened for any abnormal noises and checked for leaks etc. Everything looks really good. All the gears go in good. I'm just iffy because it has 135,000 miles on it. I'm wondering if it will need servicing soon, and wonder how much that runs for one of these trucks, I know that labor, parts, and service will always be more on a diesel. I never thought I would consider paying that much for a vehicle with so much mileage, but then again everybody says that isn't bad for a diesel engine. But let me know what you think man. I'm not familiar with diesels, I just like the truck. If I do decide to go with it I am definitely going to take it to a mechanic and have him check it out. But for now, I really appreciate your input thanks guys
  4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I'm not sure what the service intervals are on a '08 diesel so maybe somebody will post this up. If not, then ask to look at his owners manual & check the maint schedule in it. Also ask to see his service records to make sure he had them all done as required up to this point. Also try & find out how he put these 135 K miles on. I'm guessing since it's an '08, that he put a lot on at a time which is good. That's a lot better than short trips. $20,000.00 for an '08 with 138K is a little scary, but diesels do go farther than gas engines. I would check ebay for similar trucks in your area to compare prices because they vary greatly geographically, & here that is a little steep even for a cherry.
  5. Axobreil

Axobreil New Member

Sounds good, thanks for the great suggestions. I will definitely keep these in mind and will check up the maintenance records to see if he actually kept up with them. As far as the price goes, KBB states 22,700 but I'm going to try to talk him down, 20,000 is a little steep considering the mileage on the truck. My best guess was that the truck was probably used to travel a lot, it doesn't show any signs that it was used to haul heavy things, the bed is pretty clean and so is the tail gate. Thanks for your input! :) I'll keep you guys posted I'll post some pics up if I can
  6. blacksilverado14

blacksilverado14 New Member

the duramax is a bullet proof motor, I have loved them since my dad had a 2001 brand new, and only improved since then. my GF's step dad has an 06 with 190k on it, the motor and tranny function as if it were just broken in, and he is not nice to this truck, long trips to the dunes with a 30 foot fifth wheel pulling a 20 foot enclosed trailer, always hauling for work, and driving up to 300 miles a day as he owns his own business and drives a lot. the only thing with these trucks is while they are 'heavy duty' the motors far outlast a lot of chasis components. you may have to start looking at ball joints and little stuff like that that can nickle and dime you, but i wouldn't worry about the drive terrain, you take care of it and it will take care of you.
  7. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

IMHO, That's a lot of miles for a 3 year old truck. If your really serious about buying this truck take it to a trusted mechanic or even the dealer and have it checked out. The dealer up here will do a complete check over for about $80.00. Then you'll know for sure.