2008 4.8l chevy silverado towing problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by outdoorsboy87, May 29, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Did your truck come with the towing package(cooler, hitch, wiring harness)?

- - - Updated - - -

The transmission temp can be gotten from the DIC. Seeing as you have a 4.3L, I think you have a W/T and the DIC is there, you just need to get the DIC buttons.
  2. Barnettamb

Barnettamb New Member

i do have a w/t but i dont know what the dic is
  3. MoBillyAla

MoBillyAla Member 100 Posts

My 2007 has the DIC panel (Driver Instrument Cluster) that displays information like tranny temp, and fuel range...

"War Eagle"

**stchman beat me to it ;)
  4. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

5. MoBillyAla

Final tally on tranny temp for my trip, when I went through Mt Rushmore, due to my inexperience of manually downshifting, I overused my brakes and thought I might go off a cliff...lol not really that bad but definitely had a few pucker moments. I reached temps of 206 with outside temps of 85-90 degrees.
    The next day when I was driving through the Rockies I manually downshifted every time I encountered a downhill segment, and actually saw my tranny temp decrease, and then rise again as I would climb the next segment. the highest temps I saw climbing were 212 in steady 90 degree temps. The last day was a scorcher with temps around 105-106 and going through the Mt Rainier area of WA my temps jumped to 221 on the worst climbs. Once again I manually downshifted on the downhill segments and the temps dropped a little.

If I were to do this trip again, I would seriously consider the all-wheel disc upgrade. My current brakes are also 6-7 years old never been reworked, but only have 40k miles on them. They seemed very inadequate pulling the trailer and bike through the mountains, until I got comfortable downshifting that is. I would also re-read the operator manual and know exactly what my manual shift points/speeds are.
    I hope my rambling on puts some perspective on tranny temps, and what to expect from your ride.
  6. JTWard

JTWard Member 100 Posts

Glad your trip was OK. I'd give your truck a gift of slotted discs and ceramic pads on the front end. Your temps are fine, my truck runs at about 200 degrees in the summer or winter, no difference, my other car (also a GM) will go to 210-215 degrees if it's 100 degrees outside with 75% humidity. so I wouldn't fret over you temps, You truck is running perfect. I am planning on the brake upgrade I mentioned come fall. When I'm towing in high temps I can feel my front brakes getting hot and slipping, so I'm going with better disc's and pads. :great:
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  7. jake's silverado

jake's silverado New Member 100 Posts

Great Post! Like the detail ...Good info for folks looking to do what you did for the first time... Good Job!
  8. MoBillyAla

I agree, There are a lot of twisty up/downhill roads here in NW WA and I think my truck would feel much better with an upgrade like that with or without pulling a trailer. Still trying to get settled in my new house and pay off some moving expenses, but will start looking at getting some of this done soon.
  9. JTWard

JTWard Member 100 Posts

They are a real upgrade for the front end of your truck. Most of your braking power is on the front wheels. The ceramic pads need to be broken in or cured after installing them, not complicated, but the ceramic pads give off very little dust, but the best thing about them is the hotter they get, the better they brake your trucks speed, No fade !