2008 chevy silverado 1500 4x4 WT doesnt want to shift out of park when cold

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Ray002, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Ray002

Ray002 New Member

Hi any help would be appreciated. My 2008 chevy silverado 1500 4x4 WT starts acting up as soon as it gets cold. The shift lever does not want to come out of park, even with my foot on the brake. After a few minutes of putting light tension on the shift lever and pushing the brake, it slips right into gear. My brake lights work fine and some research says the interlock solenoid is acting up. How do you remove the steering column two piece shroud covers to get into where the solenoid is, and can it be lubed or does it need to be replaced. I have no problem with it when its warm out or after the truck warms up. Thanks

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

:sign0016:To the Site Ray......In the Diagram, looks like you would remove the Screws "Number#4" from the Bottom Shroud"Number#22".....and as far as the Solenoid either needing to be Re-lubed or Replacing it, that's hard to say???....:neutral:

Chevy 2008" Steering Column,

[​IMG]

3. Ray002

Ray002 New Member

Hi thanks for the reply. I m trying to see what kind of screws are recessed up in that bottom shroud. Its hard to see and dont want to break something. This morning it was 22 degrees, and I pushed the brake pedal a little harder than I usually do and it slipped into reverse on the second try. Do you think that switch could be bad on the above the brake pedal. The brake lights work well, but I'm wondering if it could be pedal travel. I unplugged the switch and plugged it back in yesterday, and the switch pivots up and down and makes a clicking noise, seems spring loaded. Thanks for your help. I see the solenoid online for around $20, but a local dealer wants $95. Not sure which one is correct.

4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

do you operate this vehicle in the off roading with lots of dust ? too new to be worn out but I have heard of dirt causing this issue.

if you can get some air power blow out the steering column if you have this operation ..

5. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Ray002,

I understand that you are reaching out to your fellow forum members for advice to resolve your vehicle issue yourself and I might not be able to give you any technical advice. Please know that GM Customer Care is here if you find that you are unable to resolve this issue. We are only a private message away!

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care