1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2008 Chevy Silverado Crew LTZ - Unknown Buttons on the Inside

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by wastedtxn, May 20, 2008.

1. wastedtxn

wastedtxn New Member

I just purchased the truck and noticed a set of buttons behind the steering wheel, below the instrument panel. One of the icons/buttons is a phone, the other looks like a # symbol and there is a blinking blue light between the two buttons....does anyone have a clue what this is/does? I looked in the manual and couldn't find anything in the interior section about this area.

Thanks!

Patrick
    <photos of the new ride to come shortly>
  2. wastedtxn

wastedtxn New Member

Pictures of the Buttons...Does anyone know what they do?

I googled the hell out of this and still haven't found anything on any Chevy site that indicates what these two buttons do, nor is the information in the manual.

Attached Files:

3. drtyprior

drtyprior New Member

Does your truck have OnStar built into the mirror? I'm thinking you might have a modified truck where the OnStar controls are down there and not on the default mirror...
  4. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Gotta be a handsfree calling feature. Push the phone symbol and you should hear it say "Onstar Ready". Mine does and I have the Onstar handsfree calling but my buttons are on my steering wheel as well as my rearview mirror. As far as there being both a phone symbol and a # symbol with a blinking blue light, might be an integrated Bluetooth handsfree calling feature.

Welcome to the site!
  5. Bruiser76

Bruiser76 New Member

Does your stereo have a bluetooth feature on it?
  6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Bluetooth to answer your cell phone instead of actually picking up your phone, you just hit the button and it should be heard through your stereo, my .02
  7. bubba33

bubba33 Rockstar 100 Posts

The blue tooth is not supposed to be on the 2008. It is supposed to be available on the 2009. That is what i read anyway.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  8. bidisilverado

bidisilverado New Member

Well, a sure fire way to find out is to press it until something happens?
  9. wastedtxn

wastedtxn New Member

Still no luck with the buttons

I'm sorry for not checking back sooner. I was setup to get email alerts when someone posted a comment but apparently the good ol' spam filter caught the messages since the address wasn't in my address book.

As far as the specs on my truck...

It's a 2008 LTZ w/ On-Star (hand-free calling on the rear view mirror). I first thought it was bluetooth and before posting on here I tried every sensible key combo to get it to sync w/ my blackberry but no luck. Same thing with trying to get the keypad to appear on the nav screen, or even answer a call. All fell short.

I'm still at a loss as to what the buttons do.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep digging and post once I'm able to track down more information through the dealer.
  10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I think it's the activation switch for the optional FCCM (that's the Flux Capaciter Control Module). Not a lot of people have that option, but if you can afford it - and can get 1.21 Jigawatts of energy to power it- it's well worth the money.

:lol: (sorry, long running joke)

... It's got to be something with hands free calling. Wasn't in the owners manual?