2008 Chevy Suburban Review

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by ChevyFan, Aug 10, 2007.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Hopefully I'll be able to review a 2008 Chevy Suburban pretty soon. Anyone seen one yet?

2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

They don't look any different than the '07 do they?

3. nowlaj

nowlaj New Member

I just bought one last last week (Tuesday).
    The 2008 Sub is a beautiful vehicle. It has the same smooth lines that the 2007's introduced. Here are some differences I noticed.
    1. New colors. I bought the Blue Granite Metallic. This replaces the bermuda blue from 2007.
    2. Side curtain airbags are now standard.
    3. The instrument faces looked different than the 2007 Sub I test drove also.
    4. Onstar package includes Directions and connections plan

This is what I purchased:
    2008 Sub Blue Granite Metallic. LT2 package with Ebony leather. 3 pass 3rd row bench, Dealer added GM headrest DVD players (2), Dealer added GM sunroof.

I couldn't be more happy with the combination. It was a good combo of nice options without spending a bucket load of money. The interior of the sub was IMO superior to the 2007 Expedition EL I was also considering. The power of the engine was also better as well as the smooth ride.
    I test drove an 07 with the Z95 suspension package. The Z95 was a stiffer ride with a little bit more wheel noise. The 08 burb with standard suspension is as quiet as a church mouse.
    My dealer was great to work with. I got the truck for invoice and they even honored the GM 1000 cash back offered on 08 Yukon XL's (For some reason, GM offers the cash on the Yukon XL's but not the subs. They are about the same vehicle!).

One thing I noticed is how hard Onstar tries to push you into buying minutes when you activate the service. I just added the cell phone feature to my verizon plan for 10 bucks / month more and never have to worry about buying minutes. I recommend this if you want to talk in the vehicle.

My recommendation....BUY ONE!

4. kknobl

kknobl New Member

Congrats on the truck. The GMT-900s are definitely ahead of the rest of the SUV/truck pack.

Got any pics?

5. ChevyFan

Good report! I have been a quite a few 2007s and only one 2008. The instrument panel appears to have a different face, and it's easier to read when going down the road w/o having to turn the lights on, something to do with shadows and what not on the gauges.

I got to drive a 2007 Yukon XL Denali (I posted a review on here) and it's built on the same platform, but I'd love to get into a 2008 to see what's new.

I agree about the on-star. I was not aware you could get your cell phone service added to that for $10, it's great to be able to use the hands-free, but I wouldn't want to use the service all the time.

6. nowlaj

nowlaj New Member

Ask and ye shall receive :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ChevyFan

Looks great. Love that look.

8. nowlaj

nowlaj New Member

Thanks. I never get to drive. The wife takes is all the time!!
    I really liked how the colors worked together. We were looking for something different from the usual White, black and silver. (Mind you, those colors do look nice!!!!)

9. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I will as soon as I win the lotto! Sweet ride. Did you opt for 4wd? Victorville has some great places to go 4wheeling.

10. nowlaj

nowlaj New Member

There are some great places to go 4X4ing. I chose not to go with 4WD due to the gas mileage difference. I think my wife would have a coronary if I ever took her baby off the road. Heck, she winces when we go to my mothers house which is on a dirt road! Yep a lotto would help. I was lucky to pay for this all at once. I could never afford the 820/month payment.

I'll keep this updated as I discover more fun stuff about my wife's baby!

:party:

Mileage update:
    Wife went L.A to Phoenix with city and highway driving. Computer says 17MPG average!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007