2008 Colorado - need mud guards!

Discussion in 'Chevy Colorado Forum (GMC Canyon)' started by Daizee, Jun 21, 2009.

  1. Daizee

    Daizee New Member

    Hi Everyone, I just joined the forum.

    I have a 2008 Colorado, and am utterly befuddled about the mudguards. Forget that the Toyotas seem to come with them pre-installed, I can't find a single mudguard product that convincingly will fit to the pre-dirlled holes in the wheel well metal.

    Does a Colorado-specific mudguard set exist?? I don't want to drill into my new truck! I don't offroad, but the dirt roads are making a mess of my truck and it can't be good for it.

    My truck does NOT have the factory fender flares.

    Any advice will be appreciated.

  2. TRPLXL2

    TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

    Welcome to the club! :happy:

    I have seen factory styled flares for the Colorado at Stylin trucks from Dee-Zee, they supposedly fit the factory holes. I know that a lot of them are universal, so that you can pre-fit them and then drill the holes yourself. Something to keep in mind down the road, is some of those mud flaps won't fit on your truck if you decide to put the fender flares on. Also as a last resort the dealeship does sell the OEM Colorado flares, I think they were like $59 a set though.
  3. Daizee

    Daizee New Member

    Hi TRPLXL2, thanks for the welcome.

    I'm not entirely opposed to the OEM flares - do THEY come with integrated mudguards?

  4. TRPLXL2

    TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

    No they don't come with the mud guards, but some mud flaps are capable of working with the fender flares. My friend put the flares off of a Z-71 on his Z85 and it made a world of difference, he bought the flares off of E-bay for a great price. I think those flares are about $300 for all 4, but then you still have to have them painted to match your truck. Hope this helps out,...............AMY :happy:
  5. Daizee

    Daizee New Member

    wow, so involved!
    Ok, maybe flares first. I'm disappointed I won't be able to do this for $100, which seemed like a generous budget for 4 pieces of formed rubber.

    why.... uh why isn't this obvious problem solved?
    I'd gladly trade the onstar hardware for frickin' mudguards.

  6. TRPLXL2

    TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

    Yeah On-Star is the biggest waste of money ever, I am surprised that the truck didn't come with fender flares. That is a necessity for a truck I think, but GM must not see it that way. The best way to find some would be the junk yard, and then maybe Craig's list. There are two types of flares for your truck though, they have small oem flares with just maybe a 2" face. And the Z-71 flares like my friend got have a full 4" face on them, it just makes the truck look tuffer. Well hopefully you find a set for your truck, and sorry I shocked you with the price but they are not cheap.
  7. JBT

    JBT Member

    Trplxl2 Let me know if you got my PM. Thanks I'm a newbie and just wanted to make sure it worked. As for mud guards, you can get them from the dealer. My colorado came wth them. I have a Z71 with large fender flares. My last truck was a Z85 with small fender fender flares and I went to the dealer ordered mud flaps that fit them. It took about 20 mins to put them on. The mud flaps for large flares don't fit on a truck with small flares or no flares. Just go to chevy.com and look in accessories and you will find them. You can also get them from Chevy Accessories.
  8. JBT

    JBT Member

    Here you go. These are mud flaps on small dark grey plastic flares and mud flaps on large painted flares.You can get the flares as plastic or painted.All the holes are pre drilled on your truck except one for each mud guard, if I remember correctly. One thing, if you have a Z85 or stock work truck, the tires are smaller and might not look as good with large flares.

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  9. Daizee

    Daizee New Member

    dangit, my cookie expired.

    thanks for posting the pix. Those flare-less mudguards might do most of the job. a bit small, perhaps.

    I bought a set of "fit any" guard from Pep Boys awhile back and of course they don't fit. They only reach one hole. Now I'm thinking I might be able to make an attachment reinforcing strip which reaches up high enough to catch the next hole or two, the pop-rivet them all on. If I can do it without it looking horrible...

  10. JBT

    JBT Member

    If you look in Chevy accessories at their website they also sell another kind of mud flap. More like the regular ones and its made for colorados and canyons. It comes with a white bow tie on it.

Share This Page

Newest Gallery Photos