2008 envoy front end rebuild, any advice??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by Pikey, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

In the morning I an changing out both lower control arms, both upper ball joints, front and rear sway bar links, and rear upper and lower trailing arms. I have rented a ball joint press to do the uppers. Any suggestions or tips that you think I might need? Thanks

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Air chisel, cutoff wheel, spray the whole area with PBS blaster and let soak lol!!!

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Well, I got it done. It took about 10 hours total. (took 5 hours for the driverside front, I waited 2 hours for parts) I ended up changing the upper and lower control arms and upper ball joints on each side. The Front swaybar links and bushings. The rear upper and lower trailing arms on both sides, rear swaybar links and bushings. It went pretty well. Except for 3 things. To get the lower control arm off I had to remove the CV shaft nut and push the shaft back, (no room to slide ball joint out) that would have been easy, if I had the correct socket. So, my boss spent 2 hours driving around (in my truck) getting the socket and the upper control arms that he decided to replace after I had started. Another issue was the new lower control arm brackets had too much flash on the casting at the holes and the bolts would not fit, so I had to grind the flash off. Not a big deal, except that I did not realize it until I had already wedged the bracket into the frame slots, then had to remove it. The other issue was the rear sway bar links. I ended having to cut 3 of the four ends off due to corrosion. I started with a saws all, those suckers were hard, so I ended up cutting them with a cutoff wheel on a die grinder. I would say that it went pretty well. I guess that I am now prepared for when he decides to do the same to his wife's envoy.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013