2008 GMC 2500HD interior door handle mecanism

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by danthe, Jan 19, 2013.

1. danthe

danthe New Member

HI all,

I have a 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE ext cab 6.0 4x4. just the other day something broke in the interior door handle mecanism...door will not open with internal handle but work good with outside handle.

So I removed the internal door panel to find a broken metal part holding the the ball at the end of the wire cable going to the latch/opener module. Went my local GM dealer and was told that I need to replace to complete internal door panel at almost 800$.
    *&?*(* for just a small white metal POS.

Has anyone encountered this problem before.

1- Are there any third party parts suppliers where I can get this part. The internal handle assembly is glued to panel but it would be an easy job to replace if the part was available.

I might have to search with auto salvage suppliers to get a used panel. Even if it is not the same color panel I would remove the internal door assembly and reglue to my existing panel.

Can anyone direct me to any parts dealers where I could order this part.

Thanks

2. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Do you have any pics? From what i have seen on 08's either the handle is above or below the switches but either way i dont think you need a panel but maybe a hadle

3. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

id try a salvage yard and see if you can get just the part you need.

Alex

4. danthe

danthe New Member

Well had time today to look at it and decided to try to repair by rebuilding the part with epoxy. If successful I will post photos of what I've done.

5. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

iv done many inside door handles at work and none of them resulted in replacing the panel.

6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Please post pics of the Plastic part THAT GM should have used metal....

7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I used some steel wire to fix my tailgate because a part fell out.... Still works to this day after a year and a half of use.

8. danthe

danthe New Member

Well the epoxy I have did not bonded at all with the white metal. So I guess my option will be to the auto salvage.

9. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I dont understand how a broken door handle needs a new door panel? Also not sure what broke off, we need some pics here.

10. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Yes a little clip. Salvage yard and just look for one that would do the job if they don't have a salvaged NBS.
    I used a tie wrap to get me through until I replaced one.

Did you try Canadian Tire in their HELP Packs?