1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2008 HHR SS wheel hub/bearing replacement (pics)

Discussion in 'Chevy HHR Forum' started by TRPLXL2, Mar 29, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Driving home from work last week in the pouring rain, I hit a HUGE pothole and hit the front passenger side wheel hard. One week later I have a roaring noise coming from the right front wheel, today we took care of the problem.

We used the front part of the unibody to jack the HHR up from, the pad was right underneath the engine mount as well. It was actually very easy to remove the wheel hub.

2 bolts for the caliper, 2 bolts brake pad holder, 3 bolts for spindle, knock the upper ball joint out after removing nut. remove rotor, you don't have to remove the lower ball joint as the spindle will articulate out of the way far enough to get to the bolts. 3 bolts for the wheel hub assembly.

The rear seal was completely gone, which caused water to get into the bearing and some of the cone bearings were actually egged. Went to Advanced Auto which had about 20 different choices, I had him bring out ACDelco $376.00, and MOOG $189.00. Acdelco made in Mexico, MOOG made in China.......I went with Moog, 3 year warranty I couldn't justify $400 for a hub sorry.

The unit came with new ABS ring and connector, very nice quality. We also greased all CV joints, and balljoints which were basically dry from previous owner.

As far as grease goes, I stumbled across some awesome stuff at Walmart about 2 years ago. It's called green grease, It's a marine grade grease and I mean that stuff is awesome, nothing affects it either. Heat, oil, brake fluid, gas, water, $5.00 for a tube, and it lasts forever. VERY MESSY!!

We also checked the CV shafts, and there was no play whatsoever. Took it for a test drive once it was finished, and It was as quiet as can be. Took us about 2 1/2 hours of working time, It was my first FWD experience so It was slow ha ha!!

IMG_0310.jpg IMG_0311.jpg IMG_0312.jpg IMG_0313.jpg IMG_0314.jpg IMG_0315.jpg IMG_0316.jpg IMG_0318.jpg
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

[​IMG] We want to see your hands dirty....[​IMG] j/k... [​IMG]
  3. 87silver

87silver New Member

Looks just like my '08 HHR SS, so I figure that I'll be getting to this job someday.

I see that the shock tower was unbolted from the lower suspension assy. When jacking up the frame and letting the wheel hang, is the spring fully decompressed at this point?