1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2008 rusting?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Gm700, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Gm700

Gm700 New Member

Hi I'm new to these forums and I couldn't find any threads for body work, but I'm just wonder if anyone has any rust forming on there box on 2008 silverado/gmc? My truck is a quad cab, and I can't find anyone who has this problem. Now I'm thinking that it may have been in an accident and obviously they did not repair it properly. This truck has only 93000km, and I live in Ontario Canada, where there is lots of salt, but still I know a lot of people with the same year and they don't have rust. Any responds is appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

I also would like to add that there is no rust anywhere else, not even on the other side of the box.
  2. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 100 Posts

can ya post up some pics to view.
  3. Gm700

Gm700 New Member

Ya forsure as soon as I get the chance, it's just all bubbles right now, and if you look at it in the sun and look down the side it almost looks a little wavey but looks normal looking straight at it.
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Did you buy it used? Get a carfax? Remember if you are in the Snow area and they salt up there you may get a bit of rust after a few years if not washed often in the wheel well area
  5. Gm700

Gm700 New Member

Yes I did have one done I bought it from a big GM dealership, the car fax said it has never been in an accident, that doesn't mean that it could of been a minor scraping on the fender and the guy got it repaired for cash. As for this area I know theres a lot of salt I've had way older GMs and considering the years they were they didn't have rust at all, and I've talked to a lot of guys and stopped people to ask them about there trucks and it seems I'm the only one with this problem my buddies 2006 truck still don't have any rust. ne ways just kind of venting now lol, but it just kind of pisses me off I purchased it this time last year and there was nothing there when I bought it.
  6. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Check your vehicle warranty, this is from a 2014 warranty but I think they have been the same for many years. 94000 km is about 58,000 miles and you might just make it under the 6 years. A big GM Dealership should help you out, they may have did the patch if it was repaired in their shop. A good repair shouldn't rust out that fast, maybe never, if it was done correctly. Even though your rust is not yet a "rust through" and may only be surface rust, you might be able to a least get a discounted price to get it repaired at the dealership so they can maintain a good customer.

Sheet Metal

GM vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion. All body and sheet metal components are warranted against corrosion for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Plus you’re protected even further from rust-through corrosion for a minimum of 6 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first). Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not required under the corrosion coverage and none is recommended. See your GM dealer for terms of this limited warranty.
  7. poncho62

poncho62 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Has the truck been undercoated?......My 97 has next to no rust, been undercoated since new
  8. Gm700

Gm700 New Member

Ya I'm forsure going to take it back to the dealer thanks,I hope they will help me out.

- - - Updated - - -

No doesn't look like it's ever been under coated figured I'd start after I bought it, didn't think there would be rust with only 94000 km /58000m