1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2008 sierra 1500 crew cab 5.3 vortec

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by sparks956, Dec 20, 2012.

1. sparks956

sparks956 New Member

i am trying to get serious power but so far i got a k&n 57-3058, pacesetter headers and y pipe and magnaflow exhaust .and bully dog gt gas tuner 40410.what will be my next step ?
  2. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

More cylinders? It's a 5.3.
  3. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

How much power are you looking for?

IMO, the CAI kit from K&N will not give you more HP, the Silverado already has a CAI. With that being said, the free flowing tube will help a little bit.

When you tuned your engine did you use a premium fuel tune?
  4. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

IMHO, the CAI, headers, and magnaflow will give you very little improvement other than near the top of the rpm limit. if you want to feel more hp and torque all the way through, and improve shifting, take a look at nelsonperformance dot com. For about $300, they will reprogram your ECM to give you just about any level of performance an internally stock 5.3 is capable of. I have a friend who had them do his, and it is pretty impressive over what it was before. I am going to have them do mine when I get some free $$$.

jim
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would look into a custom tune. Send @06MonteSS a PM. He is a vendor on the forum and does custom tunes for your specific vehicle with diablo programmers. There are many satisfied customers of his here. Because you log data and it send to him and he customizes fuel trim etc.. for your motor it should unlock more HP than the "boxed" tune that you get with the bully dog.

- - - Updated - - -

While this custom tune sounds good, does it give you the ability to revert back to stock programming if you ever have an issue and need to have any kind of diagnostic work done? Dealers or any shop for that matter can not do diagnostics using the tech II or any other scan tool with a custom tune unless it is reverted back to stock. Yes, they can read codes and so on, but they can not tell if something is within spec or if the tune is causing things to behave differently than what the stock program tells it to. At least with a programmer you can revert back to stock if needed. plus you have the ability to monitor things, change programming for tire size and gear ratio, and clear codes right from your tuner rather than having to pull out your ecm and send it back to them to have it adjusted. I looked into that company. You tell them what you have and they send you a used ecm that is reprogrammed, you then send yours back to them. I prefer to keep my ecm and have it programmed via a tuner. That way I am not stuck with their program on my truck. Again, if there is an issue you are screwed
  6. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

On top of a custom tune from lew I'd throw in a cam and stall converter. If you wanna do alil more polish your throttle body and upgrade springs when you do the cam. Other than that you gotta look at spending some dough on a supercharger and/or heads. Then that'll lead to tranny and rear end work. What gears are you running?