1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2008 Sierra - ticking noise

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by sstoner911, Jul 23, 2011.

1. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I just noticed yesterday that when I am accelerating I get a ticking noise - it gets fast the more I accelerate - then once I am not accelerating the ticking goes away.

I popped the hood and had my wife rev her up and I did not hear the ticking until it idles then it ticks for 10-20 seconds then stops. I installed shorty headers maybe 4-6 months ago and I was thinking I had a small exhaust leak.

I am just not sure how to confirm that or what else to check that could tick like that.
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I know this sounds funny, but a easy way to fined a exhaust leak is to put some Seafoam in the engine. If you have a header/exhaust leak the smoke will come out at the leak. Years ago I found a leak in my shorty headers on my Suburban this way. It had a crack in the flange you couldn't see.
  3. sstoner911

Ya I heard that too.... Its very faint ticking..infact the only reason i heard it was after driving with the stereo off the other day and i really have to listen for it.
  4. sstoner911

I checked the oil today and it in the cross hatched area just below or at the second hole in the dip stick....the owners manual just states the cross hatched area is the operating range but it seems low to me?
  5. sstoner911

Well,

It turns out it was an exhaust leak....I used the gaskets that came with the aftermarket headers and they were crap...replaced them with the OEM gaskets....lesson learned!