1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2008 Silverado 1500 4.8L Thermostat

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by ndbf, Jul 20, 2013.

1. ndbf

ndbf New Member

Went to the dealer Friday for an oil change and Radiator flush. The oil change was $39 and the Flush was $130. As a second thought I asked them to put in a new thermostat and they said parts were $250 extra plus labor. Is this normal, Rockauto has the thermostat for $15 and a complete kit with housing for $29.
  2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I do not work at the dealership to explain exactly why this is so much more where you go [FOR THERMOSTAT]. I have found that with these at the dealership in my area they do not open the coolant system they just hook up the machine and after so much fluid goes in comes out there done. not a flush but more of just a fluid exchange.

when the thermostat is to be replaced they must drain the system that takes time. then refill system . the thermostat with housing is 25.oo USD. dealership could be 50 USD.

I would drain the radiator which on your vehicle has no drain [remove lower hose]. then replace the thermostat with the housing goose neck and all the gaskets . then refill with the air purge procedure.