1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2008 silverado front shocks

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by afireinside, Dec 7, 2009.

1. afireinside

afireinside New Member

So I was getting cupping on passenger side tire on the inner part of the tire, got a alignment, rotated cupped tire to the rear and now the "good" tire is now cupped worse....

I believe my pass side shock is bad at this point. I gave it a look see and it appears to my eyes to have a set of Coil overs vs a shock setup.

Any how to's on how to replace the front shocks? Would these work?

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/chevroletsilverado150020072008bilsteinw0133-18495971.html
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

You have to remove the strut assembly and use a spring compresser to take apart. Check out Bilstein.com, they make a replacement front strut thats adjustable (leveling kit). You can adjust from stock height to over 2 inches higher.
  3. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

Before you go and through money at new shocks, have the ENTIRE front end looked at by a reputable alignment shop. Sway bar, end links, tie rods, ball joints, camber adjustments, toe adjustments. I find it hard to believe that the shocks or spring would be bad already causing the cupping, i would also be looking at your warranty. You would feel the front end floating if the shock was bad already. If you stand on the side of the truck that you think the shock is bad and give a good push downward on the fender/hood the truck should have little reflex, meaning when the shock reacts to the push and compresses it should come back up and then hold the truck in place, if it up and down badly again then then it could be the shock/spring. So my advice is, just dont guess!! As of right now you have to replace the worn tires, so there is 300-400 bucks. And shocks can run anywhere from 50-200 each. And if its not the shocks and you go and replace tires then you are out tires again. Good luck, keep us posted on the results, it will help someone else on the future!!
  4. daweinah

daweinah New Member

Why isn't this problem covered by warranty?
  5. canislupis69

canislupis69 New Member 1000 Posts

If you decide you do need to replace your struts, I still have my oem struts from my 08 Silverado that have 8,000 miles on them. I replaced them as part of my lift kit. Just PM me if you are interested.
  6. Viper

Viper New Member

if your shocks are not clean, get them really clean, and go for a short drive 15-20 miles or so, and check for oil leaking from the shock, thats a easy way to check for failure in a shock, or the push down on the fender method