1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2008 Silverado Interior Headliner Noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Deanna, Mar 14, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Deanna

Deanna New Member

When I'm driving down the road there is a REALLY annoying squeek/rattle noise coming from the interior headline behind the driver seat. I haven't ripped it apart yet to find out exatly what's causing it but when I press up on the left side of the rear dome light on the headliner the squeek/rattle stops. Anyone else seen this problem? I plan on ripping into the problem when I have some free time. When my truck was still under warranty I took it in and they said they couldn't hear anything. I don't know how they couldn't have heard the noise. It is pretty loud. I finally told them to have a tech ride with me but they still didn't do anything.:grrrrrr: What's the point of having warranty if they won't fix anything.

2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Some interior headliner noises such ast static, squeeking, etc. may be caused by the auto HVAC temp sensor fan located in the little speaker looking cover near the drivers head above the door.

Just a thought.

3. Deanna

Deanna New Member

That's not it. It actually goes away when you press on the headliner, like there is a loose clip or something. I am gonna pull the headliner apart to see what exactly the noise is. I was just wondering if anyone else had ran into this problem.

4. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would threaten the dealer that you are going to take the truck to a "professional shop" and forward the bill to them due to their failure to correct the problem and see where you go.
    I have also called Ford directly when the dealer couldnt fix a problem. We had 3 problames with a brand new SUV and the dealer employeey was a real *#%$^ to me. I think she got fired and the SUV was fixed. LAst FOrd I bought.

5. Deanna

Deanna New Member

I brought my truck back into the dealership and had them look at it again. They still said they couldn't hear the noise even though I had a tech ride with me before and he heard the noise. They pulled the rear dome light down and the headliner and found some loose brackets and put some insulation between the headliner and the cab. I haven't heard the rattle/squeek yet. But when I went to get into my truck there were grease all over my tan headline. I wasn't happy about that. That is the second time I have had grease on my tan headline. Except this time I made them clean it up. I have really bad luck with stuff like that and dealerships. I am kinda glad my warranty is expired. Now I will just fix all my stuff myself and don't have to worry about the dealerships damaging my truck like they have NUMBEROUS times with this truck.

6. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

what dealer have you been going to?

7. Deanna

Deanna New Member

First I went to steinbring chevrolet, where I bought the truck. I took it in for warranty work and they backed my truck into a wall and dented the rear bumper and the same day left tools on top of my truck and drove it out of the shop like that. They ordered a new bumper and put it on crooked 3 times. I finally told them I am going to have my body guy straighten it. Didn't give me a free oil change or anything for my troubles. Then they couldn't fix a couple problems I was having, saying they couldn't find a problem. I then moved down to Northfield and started taking my truck to the chevy dealership here. Haven't had much luck here either.

8. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The worst thing abut dealerships is the dreaded "flat rate". Most techs will only take on jobs that they know they can fix faster than the GM specified labor time this way they increase their pay 2-3 times. If they take on a job that they are unsure of then it usually gets hacked together because they are rushing to beat the clock. Good example is your bumper. Because it was a tech error that caused your bumper, the dealership had to eat the cost. They tell the tech to get it done fast because while he is doing that they are down one tech. Not knowing what was causing the squeak, would put up a red flag that your truck would be a non money making job. GREED SUCKS.

9. vegaschevy

vegaschevy New Member

Welcome to my world...I had problems with fairway chevrolet here in vegas...from trans to hydralic pump to anything else they touched while it was under warranty...finally expired and just did stuff my self...and GM wonders why they are in financial trouble.

10. JMPickins09Sierra

JMPickins09Sierra New Member

I agree with that