1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2008 silverado leveling kit gas tank problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Bueghly, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Bueghly

Bueghly New Member

I have a 2008 chevy silverado z71 ltz crew cab. Recently put a 2.25 leveling kit on from skyjacker and nitto terra 285/70/17 on. I am having problems with running out of fuel. Truck will say 74 miles to empty and then just shut off. Does anybody have any suggestion on what I could do. I am consisting taking the leveling kit off. Really really done want to.
  2. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

I know this doesn't help you, but when I had just the front leveling kit (2.5") on my '08, I never had this issue. Unless your sending unit is different, for some reason?
  3. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

Fuel pickup should be lowest part of the tank... seems strange a leveling kit would affect this. If you really think it is the level kit you have an option to install blocks to the rear to put a little rake back in.
  4. steved

steved Former Member

I would suspect a faulty pickup/sending unit in the tank (not completely on the bottom of the tank) or the calibration is off. Going up a slight incline without a leveling kit would have caused the same issue...so its not the leveling kit.
  5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the operating of this vehicle with less than or at 1/4 amount of fuel is not recommended. the fuel pump requires fuel to be cooled. overheating will damage the fuel pump. if the front end was made higher than rear by even a small amount the fuel tank pump will not be able to suck up the fuel from the front of the tank when at a low level. keep fuel at 1/3 or more at all times.