1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2008 Silverado Power steering leak!!

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Rockstarrchevy81, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hey guy's i would like to ask a few questions due to my power steering going out today. First off the power steering cap blew off and spewed fluid everywhere. Once i tried buying a new cap and bottles of fluid i put one bottle in cranked it up and it just almost instantly started draining out slinging out every where.. Idk what is wrong maybe the hose has gone bad or messed up the power steering pump is messed up other than that idk. Anyone let me know somethin soon as possible thanks guy's.
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Sorry to hear the news...that stinks. I'll be interested in the responses, as that really seems weird...but I'm not a mechanic, nor even close, so most things seem weird to me. I'm sure Stephan has an answer for you (or questions to help get to the answer). Good luck!
  3. Rockstarrchevy81

Thanks man it happened while i was mudring the other night but still somethin you really don't run into kinda weird, just was a payne driving back to town to the shop lol.

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

*mud riding
  4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Ouch! Hopefully, it wasn't too far of a drive...or in traffic. At least you were out having fun.
  5. Rockstarrchevy81

haha yea man i had a good time me and all my buddies i was leading the pack my other buddy was in his 06 2500hd with 6 inch lift and other friend in his stock z71 but it was out at my buddies lake house out on farm land lol kinda sucked when white smoke came from the hood and steering really sucked at that point.
  6. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

I can't think of why it would blow off. Maybe a stick or smth got up in there while you were muddin & knocked it off. The phantom stick may have also ripped your hose or the housing & that is why it is running out the bottom now. The only thing I can tell you is to get some rags, crawl under it & wipe off all the fluid, then pour a small amount back in (DON'T start it, cuz you're looking for NON-pressure leaks first) If you see no visible leaks put a little more in. If still no leaks when it's full then start it up & look for pressureized leaks. PS leaks are pretty easy to fix cuz the systems are pretty simple.
  7. Rockstarrchevy81

Thanks man but i have it at the shop now i dropped it off today this happened last night.. but when i added the fluid today before i started it i don't recall it leaking at all when i started it it just started spewing and leaking out mostly all at once.. the guy's at the shop said the hose or the power steering pump but i doubt it's the power steering pump but who know's also said could be rack and opinion they said i think. They said monday they will let me know but i just don't want to get charged something's and it not be what was wrong you know..
  8. stephan

Well hopefully the shop is honest & won't put a rack in it if it's only a hose lol. That's why it's nice to know what is wrong before you take it in. Do you remember where it was spewing out? Was it closer to the pump or was it more nearer the rack? Whatever they end up putting in, be sure and ask for your old parts so they don't shoot you through the grease, or just pay them a surprise visit & look & see what they're doing.
  9. Rockstarrchevy81

yeah man i'm gonna do that stop by there too see what's going on first thing monday morning too see what's all going on.. i'm not sure where it was coming out closer to either one look to be maybe by the pump and idk if the hose is on there or not might just be the hose and nothin else could be the hose and the pump ill find out monday for sure i got someone i know up there so hopefully can tell me everything i need to know ha.
  10. stephan

yeah it sounds more likely that it would be a hose cuz a pump would be hard to crack unless you got high centered on a rock or something. It doesn't take much of a stick or tree limb to wreck a hose so hopefully that's it. Good luck & let us know what they find