1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2008 Silverado, Rim & Tire Size Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Afalconsvick, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Afalconsvick

Afalconsvick New Member

Hey guys -

I'm new here, hence the first post. Some sick rides on here, awesome, awesome trucks you guys have.

Anyways, I just got a 2008 Silverado 1500 over the summer. I've been thinking about getting 22" rims, I have 20" right now. My question is, would a 22" rim with without a lift?

I was also considering getting a 6" lift and getting 20" rims and maybe 33" tires? I have read that if you get the lift and tires of that size you should re-gear the vehicle? I have a 3.73 right now. Also, would I take a big hit on the MPG if I did this?

Any help anyone can offer would be great, also I'm open to suggestions as well.

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

Also wondering, how much does it generally cost to a 6" purchased and installed? I've seen them online from $1,000 to $2,000, how much does install usually range?
  2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club first off.
    Is your truck a 4x4 or is it 2wd?
    If it is 4wd will you be doing any offroading? I ask this because it would change my answer on the rims. If it is just going to be a mall monster than either rim size could work (although not my style). But remember the larger the rim the smaller the side wall is going to be. So you run the risk of scratching the rim on a curb if you arn't paying attention. If you are going to be using the truck off road I would suggest something like an 18 or 17 inch rim. More side wall on the tire to protect the rim, the ability to air down and not damage the tire and to me just a better look.
    As far as price of lift kits go. This is a case of you get what you pay for. A good kit my run around $1500. Yes you may be able to find some a lot cheaper but again you get what you pay for. As far as install goes it is a time consuming thing to install a lift so it will cost you some coin to get it installed.
  3. Afalconsvick

Afalconsvick New Member

Thanks for the reply. It is 4wd but I won't be doing anything off road. Thanks for the info!
  4. BigrRed18

BigrRed18 New Member

In my opinion if you got a 6 inch lift i would go with 20s on 35s. Im pretty sure that those would be able to fit. The gas milage will go down some but it shouldnt be terrible on a 6 inch lift. 22 inch rims would be to much rim for me but thats just my style. But ive got a 5 inch lift and is was gettin 14mpg around town stock. and im now getting 13.5mpg roughly
  5. Afalconsvick

Afalconsvick New Member

I like 20s with 35s. Would I need to regear, I have a 3.73 right now.

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

I'm pretty sure it's a 3.73, how would I confirm for sure?
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

To find out what gears your Silverado has, if you go to the Inside of your Glove Box, you will see a White Sticker, which is your.....Service Parts ID Tag.....and on it you will see your Trucks Vin Number # and Series of Letters and Numbers those are RPO Codes stands for.....Regular Production Options.....In short what your Truck came with from the Factory.

To find out which Gears you have, you will be looking for the one Following RPO Codes,
    GU5........3.23
    GU6........3.42
    GT4........3.73
    GT5........4.10

and if you see.......G80 that is the...LIMITED SLIP (LOCKER)
  7. Afalconsvick

Afalconsvick New Member

Thanks, I do have a 3.73. Would I need to upgrade to have 33 or 35s and a 3.73? Does it put a lot of strain on the trans if I throw some 33s with a 6 inch lift? I don't want to have my trans go out 20k miles later.
  8. BigrRed18

BigrRed18 New Member

Is your truck the v8 5.3 liter?
  9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If you want to go with 33's I wouldn't go with a 6" lift. You can clear those with a level kit. And than your gears would be fine.
  10. Afalconsvick

Afalconsvick New Member

Yes I have the 5.3 v8