1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Audio 2008 Silverado upgarded Infinity rear speakers still WEAK

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by knukey, Dec 18, 2011.

1. knukey

knukey New Member

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

you need a amp the factory Head unit is only giving about 12-15 watts RMS.. Also the Infinty's Are a high pitched speaker so the Midbass will be low..
  3. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

factory head unit not strong enough, and doesnt have the tuneability to work with aftermarket speakers. Also does your truck have a factory dvd player in back? every 07+ truck i have been in with a factory dvd player seems to be preset from the factory in the head unit to always have noticably quiet rear speakers, i assume sot the driver is always fiddling with the radio to turn the fader to the front when the dvd player is in use by rear passangers
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

As Enke has said, get an amplifier. Less politically correct than Enke, I say the stock amplifier is junk; replace it with something for all four of your speakers ASAP. If you have a Bose system with a "sub" (which is a tiny 6" woofer that's, well, terrible), replace the "sub" too and make sure it's properly amplified, as well.
  5. eightbol21

eightbol21 New Member

im also gonna be replacing mine because the factory ones keep blowing did you need an adapter to fit the new speakers in the doors for 6.5 front and rear? and how do you get the door panel off without breaking things?
  6. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

if you buy your speakers form www.crutchfield.com they will send you the adapter for the speakers to mountand wire harness adapter so you dont have to splice the factory terminal to connect the speakers. Plus most of the time when you spend 100 bucks it free shipping! i buy 95% of my audio gear from them! there are tons of writeups in the how to section to show how to remove your door panels, also you can find it on youtube for videos as well
  7. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

Start with an aftermarket headunit. That will probably satisfy your desires without adding an after market amplifier.
  8. audible

audible New Member

I'm in the beginning process of wanting to upgrade my stereo too. I think my rear passenger door speak is blown, vibrates/distorts any song with any bass...going to dealer this week for check out. Even if they fix I would still like better sound. Whatever I get, I want my On-star, factory Bluetooth system and steering wheel controls to continue to work. I would love to add navigation too, but really gets expensive when you through that in the mix.
  9. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

Sounds like what you need to start with is a quality double din screen. The Kenwood line units will offer navigation (a very user friendly navigation) bluetooth, iPod/iPhone interface. With the correct interface harness adaptor you will retain your on-star and Bose system. You will also need to aquire a steering wheel control module which will help you retain your steering controls. You should be able to get all of this for between 1200 and 1800 bucks depending on the model kenwood you buy. This will wake up your factory speakers by quite a bit. There are so many reasons why that will be the case, better crossovers, higher wattage output, narrower frequency range (keeps your speakers from trying to replicate too low of a frequency range).