1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2008 Silverado Warranty Ending what should I do?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by yellowfin, Jul 2, 2010.

1. yellowfin

yellowfin New Member

I recently bought a 08 z71 ltz, warranty will be ending soon. What should I look out for?
    Should I take to a dealer and tell them to check everything, or will they just say they will and actually wont...

I dont seem to notice any problems with the truck, but its new to me so Im not sure what to look out for..

Any advice or help would be great!
  2. phroadrick

phroadrick New Member

Most dealers are pretty scrupulous about checking things out but there will always be a few bad apples. If you don't have any issues, you may be fine just relying on the powertrain warranty which is 5 yrs or 100,000 miles. You always have the option of purchasing an extended warranty but I would only recommend a GM warranty, NOT these folks you hear advertising on the radio. Any GM dealer can sell you an extended warranty.

Disclaimer - I work for a GM dealer. However, I'm NOT trying to convince you to buy a GM warranty, I'm just offering you options. There really aren't many problems with these trucks, I see them all the time with 150K plus miles. You don't say which engine or cab configuration you have or how many miles you have, these are all helpful items. Do some online research and make the best decision for you.

Have you pulled a Carfax? Do you have any service records? On time, regular maintenance is your best friend. Good luck and remember to keep the shiny side up.
  3. Slim-pickins

Slim-pickins New Member

Here is my advise...more $ related than anything. If you have the cash on hand, not credit cards, to handle a semi-seroius repair then there is no reason to buy a service contract that most likely you will never use. You are playing the percentages of your car not breaking but also why should you pay intrest through a payment plan for a service contract if you have enough cash to pay for repairs out-right.

Dave Ramsey the financial guy's advice and following his plan has really helped my family's financial situation.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Gotta agree, a warranty is simply an insurance policy, or gambling on the health of your truck.
    If you bring it into a dealer for a check-out it'll go one of two ways either "sir theres no problems with your truck have a nice day" or they'll nickle and dime you to death for a lot of little insignificant repairs that may or may not need to be done.
    If you've got the money for a warranty maybe it would be best to set it in the bank and let it acrue in case you need repairs, if you never have to pay out for repairs you've atleast saved a nice little down payment for your next truck.
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Most consumer groups say don't buy any extended warranty, car, appliances etc. etc.
  6. Slim-pickins

Slim-pickins New Member

I am glad that folks agree with my take. The key here for all you young guys is to not buy more vehicle than you can afford so you keep a little change in the bank. Easier said than done with currrent prices of trucks but if you want 4x4 do you really need the fancier interior to help keep you payments down going with 1 or 2 LT versus the LTZ....just something to thin about
  7. personal theory (or what I was raised to do) is in line with Slim-pickins. Don't by a $30,000 truck if you only make that much a year. I've just now managed to get a job that pays enough to purchase a Chevy (My Fords could never really satisfy me).

What I used to do with the Ford, however, was take it to a dealer every 'major' service interval and have them check it out and tell me everything wrong. From there I'd fix it myself. It's far cheaper than paying for a service plan to only use it a few times.
  8. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton New Member

Thats good to hear. My 09 36,000 is running out and other that a 1st gear sticky shift solenoid everything is great! Last truck was an 89 chev. didn't have good luck with it.
  9. zogg

zogg New Member

It is a real crap shoot. At age 64, I have never bought an extended warranty on anything, and really never regretted it. If the cost is $1500, I would say you can do a lot of repairs for that kind o f money and be money ahead. The newer GM trucks are bullet proof in most cases, though some little PITA things certainly occur.

I am a pretty good mechanic, so I do most everything myself....save all the labor costs. If you cannot do the work yourself, labor is expensive. A rear axle seal costs about $12, and $400 to install at a dealership.

I figure that I have saved enough by NOT buying extended warranties to pay for my last truck...ha.

If the truck still has a power train warranty, that is the most important. It takes care of the engine and tranny, and allows you to get to work....if the A/C goes out or a power window motor craps out, it is a pain, but NOT essential to driving the vehicle.

Now, having said all of that, I bought a high mileage Escalade last summer. I did buy the extended warranty because of all of the sensors, motors, navigation system, heated seats, and on and on and on. Within a month, the A/C condensor went out. I paid $100 and the dealer's bill was over $1000. Then the air ride compressor went out, and the dealer replaced it for $100...the actual bill was close to $700.

Had I done the work myself, the condensor costs $200 and the compressor is about $150, but I did not have to get dirty...I did pay $200, and really would have only been out another $150.

Not the bad news....you have to be careful about what is not covered....any "wear item" is not covered. This includes brake pads, light bulbs, shocks, etc.

SO, my rear air/electronic socks started to leak....went to the dealer, and since they are considered "wear items", they are not covered. The dealer said it would cost $1300 to replace them plus labor.

SWELL....I bought a set of Monroe replacement air/electronic shocks for $900, and that included both front and rear....install took about an hour. Truck rides super, now, but I wish I haad NOT bought the stupid warranty.

Now, I am out the cost of the warranty, $200 for the deductable, and $900 for the air shocks. What a great deal!
  10. Dana W

Dana W Member

Original factory warranties don't cover wear items either.