Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2008 torrent hard start dealer wants $100 hour to diagnose, still under warranty

Discussion in 'Ask GM Customer Service' started by Pikey, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have an 2008 torrent with a hard start issue. Sometimes it starts fine. After driving and parking for 10-20 minutes it will crank and not start. Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 attempts to get it to start. The dealer replaced the fuel pump under warranty. I cleaned the TBI and ran a few bottles of injector cleaner thru (directed to by the dealer) it still does the same thing. It started in June and is progressively getting worse. The dealer now wants to charge me $100 an hour to figure out what is wrong with it and sell me a $100 induction cleaning service! Oh, and they tried to sell me a battery because it is an 2008 and the battery is still original, But they never tested it. The adviser said that it could be anything from a bad EGR valve to a warped Throttle Body. (all covered under warranty) I don't really care what it is, I just want it fixed and my warranty honored. It has 65,000 miles and is still covered under power train warranty until December. I can't see them charging me to figure it out as I see a non starting engine as a powertrain issue. I told them that if they think there is not an issue give me the service managers home phone number so when my pregnant wife gets stuck with our 2 young kids at 10:00 pm she can call him to come get her. Of course they would not oblige. Just pay the couple hundred for them to figure it out is what the adviser told me. I wish GM would just fix the problem before my warranty runs out.
  2. Pikey

Update: I received a call from GM customer service. The first woman I spoke with was awesome! Super understanding, pulled the service history and was shocked at the amount of issues we have had with this vehicle. She was looking into extending our power train warranty or possibly giving us a component coverage letter. The letter would cover every component on the vehicle for the next year (great because the alternator is making noise at 65,000 miles) Unfortunately, the dealer that we had been going to was not in her district. So, we were changed to a different customer service agent. She was not so understanding and did not seem to care. She told me that it is my issue to deal with and if they discover that it is covered then I can contact her about compensation! She said that they can not just throw parts at it if they can not duplicate to problem. I stated that the dealer did duplicate the issue and put a fuel pump in it and it did not fix the issue. She then proceeded to tell me that the service record does show that they did find a bad connecter on the fuel pump and replaced it. I stopped her there. The dealer installed a fuel pump. When I picked up the vehicle, I started it and the CEL came on, the fuel gauge dropped to E and a few other lights came on. The service manager told me that The tech forgot to hook up a connector when he did the job!! Turns out that the dealer charged GM for a bad connector also! Nice, real honest dealer there. So, she filed a complaint against the dealer, but that does not help me with my issue. When I told her that I was going to leave GM and buy from another manufacturer in the next month she offered me a loyalty certificate for $1000. First, most of the competition will give me that amount off of a new car for switching, second, why would I be loyal to a company that is not loyal to their customers? By the way, is the GM customer service agent even on here any longer?
  3. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Pikey,

I didn't interact with you because you had stated you were already working with a GM customer service agent. If you would like me to look into your case, could you PM me your case number?

Evan, GM Customer Service
  4. Pikey

Problem Solved! I was sick of getting no where with GM, my wife got stuck at a store a few miles from home the other day. As a matter of principle I would not pay to have the issue diagnosed. Plain and simple it would not start, the issue was reported repeatedly when it was covered under bumper to bumper warranty. I was still under power train warranty. The dealer claimed that they could not duplicate it, yet they installed a fuel pump. I tried working with the customer service folks. One was willing to help me, unfortunately I was not in her zone and got transferred to a rep that was less than caring. So, I am sad to say that General Motors lost a customer today. We traded in the torrent and bought a Dodge Grand Caravan. We could have purchased a Acadia cheaper with my fathers Gm employee discount. But, even he said that they way they were jerking me around was unfair. So he supported our decision to buy from another company. At least I did not buy foreign
  5. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Hi Pikey, Sorry to hear that, I found out the hard way I can buy a Ford or Dodge cheaper than a new Silverado of similar spec even with my GM Certificates as my Grandparents worked for GM. I am considering my options when I replace my silverado also cause of the oil leak issues with the vortec 5.3LGM internal discounts are not what they use to be.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I know its not a GM but with the kids Im sure youll find the Caravan extremely useful.
  7. Pikey

No, I could have gotten a GM cheaper with my father's discount. But, as a matter of principle I would not do it. Maybe in the future I will buy another new GM product, If they are still around, and if they start listening to their customers wants. Such as returning to a fold flat second row in the suburban and bringing that small 4.5L diesel that they perfected over the last 8 years of testing (I have a few friends at GM power train that tested it for 8 years) off the shelf and installing it in a burb.