1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2008 Trailblazer air in the brake lines HELP

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by PGHDAD, Mar 21, 2014.

1. PGHDAD

PGHDAD New Member

PLEASE HELP...
    I have a 2008 Trailblazer that has had the same condition off and on since 26,000 miles. Air is somehow getting introduced into the brake lines causing a soft pedal. I have had the brakes bled more times than I can count calipers replaced due to broken bleeder valves (broken during bleeding) master cylinders replaced x4-5. Since the vehicle first acted up it will be good for 5-8 weeks or 7-10 months at a time then the air gets in and the pedal gets soft really fast causing a dangerous situation where myself or my wife were almost in an accident because we were not able to stop. At this point the vehicle has 60k miles and there is no help coming from GM. (most stories have more to them and there has been a lot of back and forth with GM)
    My main concern has always been my family's safety and I don't know what else to do but post this issue and see if anyone has had a similar issue and what was the cause.

The dealership just keeps bleeding the brakes and calling it fixed but the problem never really goes away.
    The vehicle is paid for and since I know the problem isn't fixed I don't feel right dumping this car on a dealer lot and passing the buck because someone else could get hurt.

Has anyone out there had this problem?
    I just want this nightmare vehicle truly fixed so I can feel good about my family riding around and when the time comes get rid of it with a good conscious.
    Thanks any help is appreciated I just don't know what to do.
  2. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Hello PGHDAD,

I am sorry to hear that you are continuing to experience an issue with your vehicle. I cannot guarantee a different out come but I would be happy to look into this concern for you. Please private message me referencing this thread if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care
  3. PGHDAD

PGHDAD New Member

I already filed a complaint with the state atty general 12/2013 and was told by GM that I got my use out of the vehicle and did I consider trading it in. Right now I just want it fixed so I can put my family in it without worrying if today will be the day it acts up. They (GM) seem stuck on when I got the first master cylinder. My position is that the problem first occurred under warranty and that the problem has never been fixed with the same exact symptoms every time with the same outcome. The last time the brakes failed GM Tech assistance was made available but the dealership decided to replace the caliper due to a broken bleeder and flush the system. (been there done that many many times) I think I am just beat down and have no choice but to live with it. Since we have only had close calls (no accidents) with the vehicle it seems GM has washed its hands of me.
    I appreciate you posting Jen, I didn't know GM watched this site but I don't think you can do anything either. I have talked to GM more times than I can count since 2010 when I had 26,000 miles. No one seems to understand that there is an unresolved issue with the vehicle that has yet to be discover and the master cylinder has noting to do with it. To tell the truth I don't have the energy anymore to go through the process again. Right now my problem is considered resolved but I know it is just a matter of time before it happens again. I will go on record here saying that pedal will fail again late this summer early fall (2014) since I have made it to the 5-8 week bench mark.
    Thanks again but what I need is someone with a different angle on the problem so it can truly be fixed.
    It is worth mentioning I have a GM master cylinder installed as well as GM rotors/brakes/calipers on the vehicle. I am also the original owner having purchased this vehicle at the beginning of 2009 new.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I don't know the exact cause of your issue. That being said, the only time I have ever seen air enter a brake system is when there is a leak somewhere. Does your fluid get low? Do you see evidence of a leak anywhere? I would look at where the master cylinder mounts to the brake booster, then I would look under the dash where the push rod goes from the pedal into the booster thru the fire wall. if air is getting in, then fluid has to be able to get out somewhere. Also take a good look at the pump/module assembly for the abs. Look for any brake fluid residue.
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yeah, the symptom of the problem is the soft brake pedal. Have the brakes ever failed to engage? What else can you tell us?
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Moved this to the trailblazer section also ...