1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2009 already rusting?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by coolbluechevy, Jun 30, 2011.

1. coolbluechevy

coolbluechevy New Member

In both door hinge assemblies, I have noticed surface rust on contact areas; I am going to the dealer, but wanted to know if this is a known problem.
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

If the paint is worn off the contact areas, then yes it will rust if you don't keep some lube/oil/grease of some sort on them. The same thing with the tailgate hinge points & the hood. It's not anything out of the ordinary though, not a defect, it's just the laws of rust & bare metal.
  3. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Yeah... you'll definitely start to find a little here and there after a while. Especially where there is constant contact (like stephan mentioned).
  4. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

fyi....my neigbours 2010 bumpers have started rusting on the inside......his truck is 10 months old, and no worries, Dealer
    will replace both of them near the end of his warranty for him, otherwise, I suspect if they are replaced with stock, they
    might get rust / surface rust right after his warranty is up. our 2010 Silverado is fine !!!!
    Brian in Canada.
  5. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

coolbluechevy,

Glad to hear you are taking the vehicle into the dealership. Please keep us posted on any information.

Thank you and have a great weekend!
    Caron, GM Customer Service

6. I see from your profile that you are in MN so yeah that will happen after the first winter. I spent 4 years in MN and it was a constant battle with rust on all of my cars due to the huge amounts of salt used on roads in the winter.