2009 GMC sierra 1500 oxygen sensor?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by blitz28179, Oct 21, 2013.

1. blitz28179

blitz28179 New Member

My check engine light popped up and the guys at auto zone said its a oxygen sensor.Whats its purpose and what happens when you get a bad oxygen sensor?Will you get some stall?

Thanks in advance

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

:sign0016:To The Site.....The Purpose of the 02 Sensor/Sensor's....is to help determine, in real time, if the Air-Fuel Ratio of a Combustion Engine is Rich or Lean. The 02 Sensors are located in the Exhaust System....Vehicles produced after 1995 have 02 Sensors "Upstream" before the Catalytic Converter and 02 Sensor's"Downstream" after the Catalytic Converter, to measure the Exhaust as it leaves the Catalytic Converter, and this is to ensure that the Converter is working properly.....Symptoms of a Malfunctioning O2 Sensor Include Declining Gas Mileage, Rough Idling and Engine Surges or Hesitation, and a Vehicle's "Check Engine" light will often come on.

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

there are many codes with this O2 sensor. what is the code. could be something else ...

4. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

blitz28179,

Hello and welcome to the forum! I just wanted to stop by and let you know that GM Customer Care is here on the forum. We are happy to assist if you ever have any general questions or concerns about GM products. We are only a private message away!

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care

5. blitz28179

blitz28179 New Member

Thank you.I get some hesitiation from time to time and when it happens the check engine light will blink.I also notice that when driving at night when I am coming to a stop at a redlight or stop sign that my head lights change brightness.Could a oxygen sensor cause this to?

6. That's a common symptom with o2 sensor problems.
    http://www.autohausaz.com/html/emissions-oxygen_sensors.html

They're not hard to change at all and are cheap, you will have to determine which one it is though...

http://gmpartsonline.net/parts/2009...cleid=206688&diagram=GH07390&diagramCallOut=8

7. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Regarding...."Could a oxygen sensor cause this to?"....for us"the Members"to give you the Advice and/or Help to Correct this Issue/Problem.....we need to know what Trouble Code is causing your Check Engine Light to come-on, and the reason as j cat mentioned above.."there are many codes with this O2 sensor. could be something else ...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  8. blitz28179

blitz28179 New Member

Just an update

I went monday to buy a oxygen sensor at advance auto.I was gonna take a chance and guess passenger side.I could never get passenger side sensor off.Its really in a tough area where its hard to reach with a standard size tool.So I jumped over to driver side.It was alot easier to reach so changed it with new sensor.After installing driver side sensor I am still getting check engine light and ALOT more hesitation/stalling.My check engine light blinks when the truck starts stalling.My check engine blinked alot more than it ever has.So now I am getting worried so tuesday morning I decided to take it to a mechanic in my area to install oxygen sensor on passenger side .I stayed with the guy and watched him.Well before he changed the passenger side he checked my fuse box.The fuse for the oxygen sensor was blown.He installed a new fuse and it blew too.He climbs under truck to unplug both senors and puts another fuse in.After turning switch it blows too. So he thinks my oxygen sensors are good that I have something wrong with wiring from fusebox to the end of the plugs.

Any thoughts on this?

9. 99'HEARTBEAT

As I mentioned in my Reply Above, Unless we Know What Trouble Code...is causing your "Check Engine Light" to Come-on, at this point, I and the other Member's are just going to be Guessing as to what may be the Problem, it would really help us if you to go back to your Local Auto Zone, and have your Trucks Computer Scan, and ask them what's the Trouble Code that is Causing the"Check Engine Light" to Come-on.....Once we know what Trouble Code your Truck has, then we will be able to give you the Correct Advice and/or Help, on How to Fix this Problem/Issue your having with your Truck.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013